Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modelling Roof Sheet + Wall cladding

Hi all
    I am modelling a warehouse which has a metal roof and wall cladding, could someone assist me in the best method of how to model this so when take a section through the model it will show the roof and wall sheeting correctly.
    I found this website www.steelselect.com which have profiles for roof, wall cladding + guttering but not sure how to use these in my model.
    A step by step guide would be a great help if this is possible to achieve in revit.

cheers

Welcome to the forum...
    I'd try the following:

1. Take the profiles provided by Steelselect and turn them into Curtain Wall Panels.
    2. Open the project and load them.
    3. Start Wall Command, in the properties click Edit type. Set the Family to Curtain Wall, Duplicate a type of CW.
    4. Give it the panels you created in 1. Offset them to be in front of the mullions and place mullions to mimick placement construction.

Watch out though:

1. You will probably need to create multiple types of panels to deal with smaller parts.
    2. You will need to create custom opening panels..

This is the best way if you need to schedule these things. A more easy way is creating a wall with the total thickness of a profile. Create a set of reveal profiles to cut out the pattern.

See attached. Few things to acknowledge:
    1. Changing the profile and resetting the distance between arrayed elements can be cumbersome.
    2. On the other hand: duplicating the wall by COPYING it takes all reveals into account
    3. Openings are way easier now
    4. It might be difficult to model supporting constructions, schedule panels and stuff. Generally this method is useable when the required LOD of the model isn't that big.
    Attached Files
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed reponse. I will let you know how I go.
      cheers

Comment

Hit problem with step 1 above...how do i convert the profile from the website to a curtain wall type. Sorry for the basic question.

thx

Comment

You probably can't. I don't know what format they are in but I would try to use them as an underlay (dwg) or as hosted detail component (if they are detail component family) and then trace them using the Pick Line command.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            You probably can't. I don't know what format they are in but I would try to use them as an underlay (dwg) or as hosted detail component (if they are detail component family) and then trace them using the Pick Line command.
            yes, as mdravies explains, this is how i do it. if you can't get an rvt file from the steelselect website, simply link (then delete later) the dwg into your family and trace over it.
            for corrugated sheets or spandek type roofing i usually use line based families with the width set to actual sheet width, draw one sheet length (or pick) then array your sheets across your trusses (or whatever frame). you can create multiple family types for different sheet widths or use voids to cut off sections if you only have a few cuts to make or for sloping-top walls like gable ends or holes for windows and doors. if you're not careful though voids can be difficult to select and modify when they are invisible!!...lol another frustration.
            the gutter profiles should be able to be loaded in while you are using your gutter tool.
            wall reveals and sweeps work but i find very annoying to work with.
            of course if you did just want visuals, steelselect also provide the textures for a lot of the products. combined with a simple bump map you can apply it to an easily created & extremely dynamic system based wall or roof family. saves on geometry and file size too - unless you use massive textures

edit - i've attached a simple line based roof sheeting family using the spandek profile from
            steelselect where these profiles are available for download as rfa's
            http://www.steelselect.com/download_...ink_index.php?
            Attached Files
            Last edited by elton williams; September 6, 2011, 07:19 AM.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

thanks guys. I finally got it to work

Comment

Hi guys

Im very new to revit i.e. 5 days now, i have come from an autocad background of 18 years. A lot of buildings we detail are clad with profiled metal sheets to walls and roofs. I have downloaded the profiles in the link above but for the life of me don't know how to use them in a project, how do you make and save them to be curtain wall profiles if that is the best way to use them, the downloads come through as an rfa filetype, can you save them into the correct directory and then they will be part of that family. Sorry for the basic questions, i am new and confused

Comment

Originally posted by Swarcup View Post
                  Hi guys

Im very new to revit i.e. 5 days now, i have come from an autocad background of 18 years. A lot of buildings we detail are clad with profiled metal sheets to walls and roofs. I have downloaded the profiles in the link above but for the life of me don't know how to use them in a project, how do you make and save them to be curtain wall profiles if that is the best way to use them, the downloads come through as an rfa filetype, can you save them into the correct directory and then they will be part of that family. Sorry for the basic questions, i am new and confused
                  Do you need to use the actual profile? If you're new to Revit it may be a lot easier just to use a regular wall with materials and then use detail components in your detail drawings. If you revisit the steel select website, or this thread (latest updates in most recent comments) you can download entire texture libraries and Richard has now also supplied some adjustable detail component profile families recently. I'm not near Revit right now but IIRC that family I attached above will probably require you to select your work plane first then it's a 2 click process to draw the sheet. Have a go with it in a 3d view. The family that Martijn says above, to use a profile will require you to create your own curtain panel families, which can work well...as long as all of your panel are rectangular otherwise you'll be creating one off families for every condition. To answer your first question, save the profile family in your family library so you don't lose it, but your profile will need to be nested (loaded) into your curtain wall family. The profile will stay saved in the parent family so you won't need to load it again, unless you delete it from the parent or want to reload a revised version.

Welcome to the forum, don't be afraid to start your own threads and ask lots of questions :beer:
                  Last edited by elton williams; May 12, 2014, 02:00 PM.
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment