2d dwg architectural backgrounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2d dwg architectural backgrounds

I was curious how do you display a 2d cad file as a background and not have it obscured by my floors in 2012

If I link the file "current view only" I have option of either "background" or "foreground", but if I set to background it is hidden by the floor. If it's in the foreground it is draw on top of my modeled elements.

If I link the file in not current view. Then I have to option of setting an offset value for dwg file, but run into the same problem where it get obscured by the floor, or gets drawn over the top of the elements.

The reason I ask is that we are going to leave the backgrounds on for our printed set this time, where we usually turn them off so this isn't an issue. Thanks

Any thoughts.

You could:

1. use wireframe view

2. move the cad file up very slightly in an elev or section view
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

The problem with a wireframe view is that hidden elements (walls, ftgs..ect) don't get shown correctly. So I would like to keep it in the hidden lines mode.

Comment

Perhaps create a view that ONLY shows the DWGs, and place that on the sheet after the model view that has the DWGs turned off? Ugly kludge I know, but sometimes that's all we have.

Gordon
        Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

set your floor to transparent?
          (not sure, really. just guessing. I haven't had to link a 2D CAD drawing for final documentation. But I have had PLENTY of times where an architectural floor, not set to transparent, has caused all my structural elements to be missing/hidden)
          Last edited by LeanneZ; September 1, 2011, 08:57 PM.
          Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
          AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
          ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment