Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

civil 3D >>> Revit

Well,

Unfortunately, Revits topography is horrific. I probably could come up with something better in Powerpoint. I want to put topography on my model. Usually you do it first but did not know they wanted it. Thankfully I started project at 0,0,0. Am I about to get into a nightmare?

Yes. Or export your Revit model to link in Civil.

Comment

Separate file...if you want to show topography in sections use a roof instead of the topo tool.

I don't understand why people say the topo tool in Revit is so terrible....I have created some awesome site plans in Revit that looked way better than what I could ever do in Civil 3D... of course that may be why, as I used to be a civil designer and I know what works and doesn't work.
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

MP, Do me a favor. Draw a rectangular project with Revit. Put topography underneath the project at 0,0,0 and expand topography out to your discretion. It will look like a grade school kid project I bet.

Comment

please do not knock civil 3D. I can calculate water splashing into my face. Then the neighbor paying for it.

Comment

I'm not sure what you want to achieve in revit topo, but its not as bad as you are making out.

I will agree that revit is not a "civil" program, so its not made for doing long sections, and topo generation BUT it is possible to get decent results out of topo in revit and if you haven't tried it yet, look at the site designer plugin it does add some utility but again, revit is not made for civil works like this. In general I handle topo in civil 3D and all my siteworks (building pads etc) already done in civil 3d which has the facility to do these functions in about 1/10th the time that you can do it in revit, and in addition produce long sections and cut/fill schedules in a few clicks. Revit simply is not made for this. Its like using a hacksaw when you need a chainsaw. You can do it, but it will take a long time, cause you a lot of frustration and blisters and a rougher looking cut. Use the right tool for the job, and revit is not a civil works tool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjenk8100 View Post
              MP, Do me a favor. Draw a rectangular project with Revit. Put topography underneath the project at 0,0,0 and expand topography out to your discretion. It will look like a grade school kid project I bet.
              Topography is only as good as where your data comes from...

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                Separate file...if you want to show topography in sections use a roof instead of the topo tool.

I don't understand why people say the topo tool in Revit is so terrible....I have created some awesome site plans in Revit that looked way better than what I could ever do in Civil 3D... of course that may be why, as I used to be a civil designer and I know what works and doesn't work.
                Are you insane? Dont take this the wrong way man, but if you really think "Revit topo can make a great site plan," i have to automatically question what your idea is of a good Site Plan. Well, letme rephrase: Im sure you can get a "plan" to look somewhat decent, but the Site MODEL will be a bag of ****. And its not "lack of method or tool knowledge on my part," i am quite confident in saying. The entire way Revit models Terrain in the Topo tool is a joke.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                  Are you insane? Dont take this the wrong way man, but if you really think "Revit topo can make a great site plan," i have to automatically question what your idea is of a good Site Plan. Well, letme rephrase: Im sure you can get a "plan" to look somewhat decent, but the Site MODEL will be a bag of ****. And its not "lack of method or tool knowledge on my part," i am quite confident in saying. The entire way Revit models Terrain in the Topo tool is a joke.
                  Yeah, to a point. I have done some pretty nice site plans...yeah, it does take a bit longer but they look great. Wish I could show them off, but I can't, don't have the models. I do use a combination of topo and roofs....and on larger sites there are probably 15-20 different topo objects as there is no way Revit can handle just one as it will blow up.

This is a screen shot of an earlier version before I put in the river.

But I should mention...they are for visualization only. Not to be used for construction. That is what Civil and Landscaping plans are for.
                  Attached Files

Comment

These were some images from a failed walkthrough....but it shows the complexity of what you can do in a site plan....There are 9 Revit models in these too. This was the simple version before I went through to fix the abnormalities of the final video (which unfortunately I don't have)
                    Attached Files

Comment