Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Views

Hello,

This is my first "real" post. I know how to make a new view. I want to save a view that will not change when I continue to work on model. I am designing a building. So far, I have drawn retaining wall, few columns and beams on top. I want to save this view as is and does not change as I continue to build upward. I know phasing does this sort of thing but would really not like to do that cause I get super confused. As of now, I just "save as" and continue building in the new file. This way old file views stay the same. Is there anything that I am missing. Not sure why I dont understand phasing, I have tried and it gets so confusing.

Brian

What do you want this view to do for you? Any model view will always be a live slice of the model, so if you're looking for a snapshot in time you're probably better off making a pdf. If it needs to be an editable snapshot, save as probably makes more sense as you're doing now. I'm not sure if phasing will do what you're looking for based on what you've said.

Comment

Pretty sure phasing is not the feature that is intended for this and pretty sure there is no such feature in Revit.
      Not sure why you want to keep that specific view and that specific state of your project, but it looks like you want to save some structural stuff, can't you do that with filters and turning off some categories?
      Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
      Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

I understand the PDF and save as thing. Just thought this would have been resolved by now. I like to get paid progressively. After I finish below grade to level 1 structure, lvl 1-2, 2-3, etc. The only way I could think of is to do it by the save as/PDF approach. The master file would draw entire model in its entirety. I just cant figure a good way to do it. For instance, when going from 1-2 I would like to show below and above views but then bottom levels are in the way. I guess I can duplicate the living crap out of things per level and then be able to hide. For instance, level one I could duplicate a beam just for level one, level 2 duplicate beam for level 2, and so on...I am new to drawing as a contractor.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
          but it looks like you want to save some structural stuff, can't you do that with filters and turning off some categories?
          oops did not notice I was in the structural section of the forum

I would NOT go and duplicate anything, this will get you in A LOT of trouble for sure and will give you an IFC model that is useless and worthless, pretty sure you would have trouble getting any payment when sending out an IFC with all sorts of stuff duplicated in there.

OK let me think. So you are building the entire model, but like to be payed progressively at certain stages of the process even though you have the entire model already or you just want to save the state the model was in when you send out the bill?

I would say either model progressively and get paid after each stage, or just model the entire building and get payed after it is done or send bills at milestones. I am doing a project where I send 3 bills, one when drawings go out for the permit, one when model and drawings go to contractor for calculations and pricing and one when all is done. You can also do monthly payments. I usually do not save anything when sending out a bill other then pdf's and maybe dwg's, for me there is no use for that.
          Last edited by Robin Deurloo; August 21, 2017, 10:19 PM. Reason: typo
          Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
          Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

I think I will just do entire drawing and use section tools to show connections and stuff at each level. Probably most professional.

Comment

Section boxes or view depth controls will useful. If you want finer control over what shows up you could also add a parameter like "Location" or "Sequence" to break things into packages by scope or payment. Pair that up with some view filters and you can easily isolate different portions of the model without compromising the overall model.

Comment

Ok if I am understanding properly...

You want to set your views progressively by level and not add in the other levels as you build your model?

This comes down to your "view range" and you need to make the view ranges only sufficient to capture the level that interests you and the elements above and below.

As someone else said, it is a "live" slice of the model, so if you add something new, if it enters the "view range", you will see it (hence your views will change/update immediately, and automatically if any new element enters your view range.)

Yes, you could use phasing but it will get very complicated, very quickly as it was not really the intent of phasing.

If your design is changing in early phases of the project and the client has not yet decided on his finished design you are better off using "design options" - and just to make your brain bleed, it is also possible to use "design options" with "phasing" to make your project really overly complicated.

You could also manage it by making your project a central model, and then creating and placing elements in "worksets" as you go up and control your views by only showing the "active workset" but again, this will depend on exactly what the purpose is of splitting the project up in this manner, and also, makes managing your data more difficult (in the sense you must assign every new element you create to the correct workset) It's not impossible, or really that difficult, its just a different and more advanced workflow and I would not really advise this for every situation.

Comment

Karalon,

I think view ranges are great. I use to think they were hard for some reason when I first started Revit. I think I am going to do a mixture of my "save as" approach and view range. Now I have more pickles to fry in my other post with these VG's. Thanks!

Comment

Gotta learn how to do lateral view ranges.

Comment