X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cut shaft or Opening through Beam System

Hi All,

Just playing a little bit with RST.

Scenario: Existing structure with beams and purlins modelled as beam systems. Need to cut a hole through the beam system to allow for some new works.

How would you recommend that one cuts an opening or a shaft through a Structural Beam system. The opening and shaft tools cut Floors, Roofs and Soffits, but do not, as far as I can tell cur beams or beam systems.

Model two beam systems existing and new?

Cheers,
    Ian Kidston
    http://allextensions.com.au

I would recommend modeling the beams as existing, then demo them, and new, but only if this is what they will be doing in the field. You really cant cut holes in beam... kinda voids the structural warranty.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

They never extended the Opening Shaft concept to beam systems. Would be interesting if they did. You can alter the sketch of a beam system with an additional boundary (just like roofs/floors/ceilings) that is the "opening" and the beam system will "cut" the beams. The "hole" doesn't have to be exact, just cross the framing where the beams need to stop. You can then add framing members to support the hole. Best to make those changes before you adjust the elevation of the system, meaning make sure you've got the top of steel correct first.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Steve_Stafford; August 30, 2011, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Thanks Alex and Steve,

I had kind of reached this conclusion as well, but thought it was worth the ask.

@Alex: Hey, I cut holes through structural beams in my model every day......nothing has fallen down in the model yet. :laugh:
        Ian Kidston
        http://allextensions.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
          They never extended the Opening Shaft concept to beam systems. Would be interesting if they did. You can alter the sketch of a beam system with an additional boundary (just like roofs/floors/ceilings) that is the "opening" and the beam system will "cut" the beams. The "hole" doesn't have to be exact, just cross the framing where the beams need to stop. You can then add framing members to support the hole. Best to make those changes before you adjust the elevation of the system, meaning make sure you've got the top of steel correct first.
          Great idea with the cutting holes in the beam system . +rep
          I personalty only will use a beam system when dealing with wood framing. I find that using dimension constraints works faster for me when modeling steel.
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
            Great idea with the cutting holes in the beam system . +rep
            I personalty only will use a beam system when dealing with wood framing. I find that using dimension constraints works faster for me when modeling steel.
            Indeed a nice suggestion for the NEW phase. But doing this in the EXISTING beam system will not work since it will also change the existing phase. You need to work with phasing here.

Although this might work:
            1. Go to Existing Plan View
            2. Select Beam System, copy to clipboard. Now set existing beam system to be demoed
            3. Create Plan View New and paste aligned
            4. Edit Beam System and sketch opening like Steve suggested.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Hi Ian.Kidston,
              I think, you should open family editor, make a beam with cut boundary which have dimensions you want to make. Save it, and then you can add it to your model.
              Revit model based on family so much. So you can make many family for every project.
              Good luck!

Comment