Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Number of sides in a OTB_Concrete_Column

Hi there,

I am starting up a new project (Revit 2017) and I have a set of OTB columns loaded. I need to take the default 4-sided column and make it 8-sided (octagonal). I went to Duplicate and Edit the family, but then realized there was not a setting for # of sides. The site does have some square columns so I don't want to do anything radical in the model.

What is the best practice towards making the change? I've only done a few small things with families so far so I thought I would reach out to experienced folks to see what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance for your help!

-gary-

Originally posted by garywtd View Post
    Hi there,

I am starting up a new project (Revit 2017) and I have a set of OTB columns loaded. I need to take the default 4-sided column and make it 8-sided (octagonal). I went to Duplicate and Edit the family, but then realized there was not a setting for # of sides. The site does have some square columns so I don't want to do anything radical in the model.

What is the best practice towards making the change? I've only done a few small things with families so far so I thought I would reach out to experienced folks to see what your thoughts are. Thanks in advance for your help!

-gary-
    Simplest way would be edit family > save as > 8 sided column > edit the extrusion to have 8 sides > load into project. That will obviously give you a new family.
    You could also use visibility yes/no parameters and have both extrusions in the same family but i wouldnt be a fan of that for something as stoic as structural families which already use visibility controls for detail level.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Here's what I get:

I am trying to cut the square (original 4-sided column) out.

Also, is there a way to center the mouse on an OTB extrusion when it does not show the origin axes?

Thanks for your help.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by garywtd View Post
        Here's what I get:

I am trying to cut the square (original 4-sided column) out.

Also, is there a way to center the mouse on an OTB extrusion when it does not show the origin axes?

Thanks for your help.
        In a regular family the origin axis is the point of where your 'defines origin' reference planes meet, unless you are in adaptive/ mass environment where the points/RL's/surfaces will show a selectable, moveable axis. In a 3D view the centre of the bounding box of whatever geometry you last selected will be the camera orbit axis.
        There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Oh, OK. That totally makes sense! Thanks for the advice. I can see them now.

Comment