Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trusses - Modification for correct gap in connections

Hi

Im new to Revit Structure (former Tekla user) as I just switched jobs.

I tried to design a truss, with help from the office Revit expert, and we struggeled a lot. We created a new family using Revits truss design. This seems to ok if you are modeling a truss without any eccentricity for the connections. To make the truss according to
    Eurocode 3 and make it easier to make for the steel-entrepreneur I need some eccentricity at the connections.

We imported the the family to the project and changed the family to beams, to be able to adjust the eccentricity. This seems like a very time-consuming way to do it, and we experienced a lot of trouble when trying to mirror or copy the truss.

Does anybody know a better way to design a truss with eccentric connenctions?
    (A step-by-step for Revit-dummies would be nice )

Thanks
    - Hallvard

ok, don't get me wrong. I love Revit. But would "go back to Tekla" sound ok?
    As far as I know (but I'm no expert on trusses) you found the only way that it's going to work.

What you can do to make mirroring and copying easier is take all the parts and group them first. This will make the selection process (cause I think that might be your problem) a lot easier. Also, you can save out groups to your library so you don't have to do this over and over again.

The, not so dummy way, is to create a complete truss as parametric beam. But that might just be a little too much right now.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

This is gona be a questions for Ben-May or mark b to talk about. They are the RST gurus. Hopefully they will stop by soon and read the thread.
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Going back to Tekla would be super, but not my desicion...:-( Expensive licenses...

All the elements where grouped (of course). The main problem was adjusting the positions so that each connection would have the correct gap between diagonals.

"Creating a complete truss as a parametric beam".... If it is any faster / better / easier than the "create truss as family, then change to beams and adjust"-method I would really like to hear about it.....:-)

Comment

Well, I'm not really into structure, but I do know my way around the families... Could you post a pic of what you want?

It's my understanding that changing to and/or from a structural family category isn't as easy and straight forward as other (architectural) categories. In laymens terms: they tend to get totally screwy, at least in my experience.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment