Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WHy do curtainwalls have to be so difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHy do curtainwalls have to be so difficult?

Ok, I give.
    I've (finally) got a curtainwall in an opening surrounded by precast panels.
    I want to select all the elements of that curtainwall to copy it to the next floor up.
    I can select all the mullions or all the panels but can't seem to select the ENTIRE curtainwall.
    This is in 2012...which I just started using. In previous versions, when you tabbed enough, you'd eventually get what I'll call the "centerline" of the curtainwall - selecting that grabbed everything and you could do whatever you wanted with it.

After tabbing oh...let's say 237 times...I'm convinced that "selection" isn't there anymore.

Can someone PLEASE enlighten me?
    I'm nearly out of Advil and I doubt drinking will help.

Also...how do you delete the damned thing?
    Having tried multiple times to get this SINGLE curtainwall right, I never could delete a "wrong" attempt...I could select the glazing (before adding a grid or mullions) but the delete option isn't available....had to UNDO everytime.
    Last edited by Defiant1; August 17, 2011, 08:09 PM.
    "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
    Both are equally terrifying."
    - Arthur C Clarke

If you have about 20 minutes of time, I'd suggest taking a look at these curtain wall primers and see if any of your frustrations are relived. If that doesn't work, I'd switch from Advil to Fukitol.

http://revittotd.com/?s=curtain+walls (start with Curtain Walls.1 at the bottom of the search results page. I believe they are all in order)

In the mean time I'll see if I can't a more specific response to your questions.
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

If the selection isn't working for you in plan, try looking at it in section/elevation and hovering right around the edge of the storefront/curtainwall frame. The dashed lines is still there in 2012.

You can also try this, drag select around the entire area of the wall. Then open your filter dialog to see if you have "walls" or "curtain walls" as an option. Should only be one. There will also be "curtain grids", "mullions", "curtain panels" and other stuff. Just click "select none" then reselect walls or curtain walls, whichever it is, then click ok. you should now have the WALL itself selected.

From this point you can either delete it or use the Copy / Paste Aligned > to selected levels to copy it up.

Hope this helps!
      .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Thank you Carl, I'll try that. By the way, I did read/watch your curtainwall articles.
        Very nice site, now bookmarked.
        "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
        Both are equally terrifying."
        - Arthur C Clarke

Comment