Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinion? - Details into Revit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Opinion? - Details into Revit

    I've recently gotten a new job at a company which is in the process of transitioning to revit. they have a pretty basic template so far, so I'm working on creating a new template and setting revit standards, etc.

    So I'm looking for your opinion.

    Right now they have maybe about 20% of their standard details transferred to Revit. In doing so they've created all of their standard CAD lineweights in Revit. meaning that all of the detail views are drawn in cad colors, and we have a ton of corresponding line types. They want to keep all details like this - in CAD colors and linetypes, but in the Revit template.


    ...my initial instinct is to strongly advise against this. I don't see the need, and it creates far too many linetypes, in my opinion.


    but I would like the opinion of you all, who likely have more experience in this sort of situation. :P


    Should we draw the other 80% of standard details like they're CAD? and if not,

    #2
    it sounds weird to me to have the details in color according to an old CAD standard, I would not do it because of the same reasons you already mentioned. But why get the details into Revit anyway?, they are standard details, so will not be modified a lot and will be given to a contractor in either PDF or dwg I assume, keep them as they are. But then again, I have never made a single standard detail in my life, all of them have been different, so I don't get the standard detail thing anyway.

    [edit]I see this is in the structure bit, so maybe it is different for structure users.
    Last edited by Robin Deurloo; August 1, 2016, 03:13 PM.
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

    Comment


      #3
      When pressed for time, I make images and place them in Revit. If they are static details, you may not need to draw them at all. In that case I create blank sheets with the details only containing the text of the contents. Then one can reference the details as call outs. I often do this when having to refer on details created by non-revit consultants.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by RsqPrincess View Post
        Right now they have maybe about 20% of their standard details transferred to Revit. In doing so they've created all of their standard CAD lineweights in Revit. meaning that all of the detail views are drawn in cad colors, and we have a ton of corresponding line types. They want to keep all details like this - in CAD colors and linetypes, but in the Revit template.


        ...my initial instinct is to strongly advise against this. I don't see the need, and it creates far too many linetypes, in my opinion.


        but I would like the opinion of you all, who likely have more experience in this sort of situation. :P


        Should we draw the other 80% of standard details like they're CAD? and if not,
        Print a project in Grayscale accidentally and management will understand why using CAD Colors is a bad idea. Guess you are changing your background to black to eh? Have fun with items that are set to black. Using CAD Linetypes is actually no big deal, that is what we did when we first started with Revit...but it needs to be applied to all. Eventually we came up with Detail_LT, Detail_XLT etc..etc..to keep details separate from project linetypes.

        Many companies started this way though...changing Revit to make it look like CAD. Eventually folks come around to a white background and black lines, saving color for specialty plans. Some don't though...I had to create a couple of projects that specifically shifted a project from color (production) to black lines (printing) and back again to color.
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by RsqPrincess View Post
          I've recently gotten a new job at a company which is in the process of transitioning to revit. they have a pretty basic template so far, so I'm working on creating a new template and setting revit standards, etc.

          So I'm looking for your opinion.

          Right now they have maybe about 20% of their standard details transferred to Revit. In doing so they've created all of their standard CAD lineweights in Revit. meaning that all of the detail views are drawn in cad colors, and we have a ton of corresponding line types. They want to keep all details like this - in CAD colors and linetypes, but in the Revit template.
          Sounds to me like they have blown a lot of time (money) on these bad decisions, which is unfortunate.

          ...my initial instinct is to strongly advise against this. I don't see the need, and it creates far too many linetypes, in my opinion.
          Agreed, but i would take it one step farther: Saying "I dont see the need," implies that there is a time and a case (when there is a "need" to use this method). I havent seen (in 11 years) a SINGLE good case to be made for trying to roll CAD standards in to Revit, at all. Its not an *anti-CAD* thing for me, either. I actually like (and use) AutoCAD a decent amount (just not for architectural modeling/drafting, or anything of the sort). The way AutoCAD and Revit organize objects and lines is completely different. AutoCAD has overlapping (co-existing) items in Modelspace, to content with. So in AutoCAD (back before annotative dim styles) it made sense to have a Dim-96 and a Dim-48 layer. It simply doesnt make sense in Revit.

          Now, what youre asking about isnt DIM layers... But it STILL doesnt make sense. When you look at "Typical details" you may be inclined to say *okay, we can use object styles that are sort of like our CAD standards.* But you are relegating yourself to never being able to include Detail Components in your standard details, because if you ARE using detail components, then you would have to change all of your object styles for your detail components, to match your standard detail library. The reason i wouldnt do that? Your Detail Components show up in your live views too, when you annotate live sections and details. So, unless youre going to turn every MODELED views Object Styles in to some hacked up version of the old CAD layer standard (which will fail, since CAD layer standards were based on what the object type AND the view type was, and revit object styles dont work that way), youre going to be spending a LOT of effort on some horrible stuff.

          Plus?

          You then cant really use plotting to color, unless you then have overrides (or some sort) on all of the detail items. Yuck. ANd plotting to color can be great (color fills, shaded views, etc). Why give that up?

          but I would like the opinion of you all, who likely have more experience in this sort of situation. :P

          Should we draw the other 80% of standard details like they're CAD? and if not,
          Not only would i say no, i would say you should also scrap the 20% that are done, and redo them correctly. And if you are in a firm where groupthink reigns, and you have to *convince* everyone you are right... I recommend a nice bottle of Highland Park to set under your desk, for when you need it.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

          Comment


            #6
            I have done the "standard details into revit" thing before.
            Yes for structures we do have plenty of details that you can use as standard.

            It's not all that big a deal, it is actually a really good exercise for an apprentice to do
            1. because they are cheap and
            2. because it teaches them how to use the detail components and annotations properly.
            3. They learn what all the standard details are.

            I would say however, that you need to ditch the idea of cad color schemes. This is just people unable to change their thinking. As mentioned already by someone, not only is it unnecessary but it complicates printing and other issues.

            I created an entirely separate project that was only details and then you can import them or copy paste them into your projects as needed.

            This way all of your details are well classified somewhere, and done properly. Yes you should redraw them all from scratch using detail components, and the correct text styles etc.

            Of course, you can always import single details into detail views from AutoCAD, so it depends on the quality of your standards in a way. If they are useable as imports, then why redraw them?

            Comment


              #7
              I went through the same thing here at my company a couple years ago. The other Sr drafting staff who worked at the campany HQ basically took all of the ACAD standards and brought them into revit. After doing research and asking for advice here and other blogs / industry groups I came the conclusion that I was going to buck the trend.

              My main point to them was this, in 5 years from now where do you see Autocad, where do you see Revit? okay easy answer was that Revit is on the rise and CAD while still a very useful tool was on the decline. So why would we take standards (that made sense in Autocad) and force them into Revit? These are two completely different animals, and should be treated as such. Red, green, blue in autocad correlated with a lineweight, in revit what you see on-screen is what you get on a print as far as LW is concerned so there is no reason to use these colors in that way.

              Then the argument of well I like to see my columns blue so that they stand out.... Okay that's great so set up some filters and view them however you like!!

              I can think of 1 or 2 reasons to port in ACAD standards to Revit, but I can think of 100+ why you are better off creating standards in Revit that are based on what makes the most sense in Revit.
              Regards,
              Emmett Cruey
              ConnectedBIM.Design
              925-695-6000

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                Now, what youre asking about isnt DIM layers... But it STILL doesnt make sense. When you look at "Typical details" you may be inclined to say *okay, we can use object styles that are sort of like our CAD standards.* But you are relegating yourself to never being able to include Detail Components in your standard details, because if you ARE using detail components, then you would have to change all of your object styles for your detail components, to match your standard detail library. The reason i wouldnt do that? Your Detail Components show up in your live views too, when you annotate live sections and details. So, unless youre going to turn every MODELED views Object Styles in to some hacked up version of the old CAD layer standard (which will fail, since CAD layer standards were based on what the object type AND the view type was, and revit object styles dont work that way), youre going to be spending a LOT of effort on some horrible stuff.
                So what is the correct way to do this? I want to create typical details for my office using drafting views and a library of Detail Item Families, and I want maybe 6 line weights to plot consistently regardless of scale.

                Do I create these object styles (for my 1-6 line weights) in each detail item family? which I have noticed the unused ones get purged when I re-open the family to edit. And even worse I would have to modify the Model Line Weight thickness for each scale I want to print on. Revit default has #5 set to .18" at 3"=1'-0" when really I want that line to plot at .015".

                lineweights.PNG

                Would creating drafting views and detail families not be the right approach for this?

                thanks.
                Last edited by billiam; October 18, 2016, 06:21 PM.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by billiam View Post
                  I want maybe 6 line weights to plot consistently regardless of scale.
                  Assuming you don't want other lines to print to the same weight regardless of scale, you might use pens 11-16 and set the line weight of these consistent across all view scales.
                  Greg McDowell Jr
                  about.me/GMcDowellJr

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by billiam View Post
                    ... a library of Detail Item Families...
                    FYI, a Detail Item library might not function as you expect, as the Types tend to duplicate themselves when loaded into a project. See these threads for a start:
                    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...-can-i-do.html
                    http://www.revitforum.org/architectu...t-browser.html
                    Chris Ellersick

                    Comment

                    Related Topics

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X