Creating cellular beams where the holes align with one another

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating cellular beams where the holes align with one another

Alright guys, I'm new to this Revit malarkey and I'm getting to grips with it slowly. However, I'm struggling to work out how I'm supposed to put this next piece of this building I'm modelling together.

Basically I have a big floor plate but I have restrictive floor heights which means that the primary beams that I'm using need penetrations in the webs. Obviously I'd like these penetrations to line up so that the M+E chaps can fly their equipment through in straight lines. However, the way the the floor plan sits the beams are different lengths so I can't just copy and paste them along the building. Is there a way I can create cellular beams in revit and then specify where I want the penetrations in the web?

I've attached a screenshot of the old CAD files I'm using to model my building, you can see on the 'south' side of the drawing where the columns step out from gridline A. All beams marked 'Wxx' are to be cellular beams, typically they will be cut down from 914x305UBs to be 650mm overall depth with 500mm penetrations. Beams marked 'Bxx' are regular UBs.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Cheers,

Nick
    Attached Files

Welcome to the forum, Nick.

Revit Structure includes a beam family named as "Cellular beam.rfa", which contains parameters to control de number of holes, and the distance from the start of the beam to the start of the array of holes. You could create different types of this beam if it is necessary, and then use Sections or Elevation views to coordinate the location of these holes.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Nick,

RST 2012 came with a OOTB celluar W shape. It looks like you are 2012 so you can find the framing family here
      C:\Autodesk\RST 2012\Libraries\US Imperial\Structural\Framing\Steel\Cellular Beam.rfa

If you need it for a different shape you could use the OOTB family as an example.

I dont have it open right now, but you should be able to edit the parametrics of the family to give you cells that will line up even with different beam lengths. It would most likely be removing the constraints on one side of the cell void array. Your cells array would then start on one side of the beam.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Hi,
        i'm relativly new to revit (Struc 2012) and self teaching to get ahead of others!. I've created a cell beam as defined on other forums as well using the OOTB version. i know have a question where i'm not sure what part to amend so that when i look on an elevation of two beams, the holes align. Currently they dont. i've looked under properties but the array start seems to be 'greyed' out.
        also, under the parameters structural tat i have edited to create the beam, what is Name 1, W1, Name 2, W2?

Hopefully attached 3 images, one showing the beam from column to column, one showing it from core wall to column then one showing the error where i cant get the 'cell or hole' to align?
        column to column.jpg
        core wall to column.jpg
        error.jpg

any advice or direction to would be great!

cheers

Comment

Most likely you are not using the correct RP to start your array on. Framing families have two length parameters, one is the point to point and the other is the beam setback. In your family look carefully at the RP's and notice which ones are on top of each other.
          -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Hi

thanks for the reply. Beofrei attempt to look for this, i copied the beam from the column to column situation, then dragged the end so it attached to the wall. Would that have had an affect on it?

Where are the RP changed?

Comment

Originally posted by djben9 View Post
              Hi

thanks for the reply. Beofrei attempt to look for this, i copied the beam from the column to column situation, then dragged the end so it attached to the wall. Would that have had an affect on it?

Where are the RP changed?
              RP means Reference Planes. You should see these as green dashed lines in the family.

Yes dragging the end, if you don't drag the correct end grip, could cause the errors you are experiencing. Make you you drag the blue dots and not the blue triangles when adjusting the ends.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Hi,

I had a look at the family. As i have created the long one then went to duplicate to get the short one.
                i looked at the refernce planes and adjusted where i think i needed to but it didnt seeme to work?, i may need to have another play, its probably pretty simple?!.....but not seen it yet!

Comment

I still havent got this to work. Are there any guides any where. i wonderif i need to have a seperate cellular beam family for the ones that are different?

Comment

Upload the family for us to take a look at it.
                    -Alex Cunningham

Comment