Adding Distance from a Point to Structural Schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding Distance from a Point to Structural Schedules

Hi all I am new here. I am trying to add a field that will calculate the distance from one point to all of the structural framing elements in my model. This will be used to simulate a fixed tower crane location. I don't know where to start though. Has anyone tried this before and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

If the file isnt using shared coordinated then the survey point could be placed at the location of the crane. Then a simple spot coordinate could be placed on a sheet to display that value. If those values need to be scheduled then Dynamo or another such utility could be utilized to get the X Y Z and then pushed into a parameter of the members.
    Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
    www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
    @Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by BD Mackey View Post
      If the file isnt using shared coordinated then the survey point could be placed at the location of the crane. Then a simple spot coordinate could be placed on a sheet to display that value. If those values need to be scheduled then Dynamo or another such utility could be utilized to get the X Y Z and then pushed into a parameter of the members.
      What he said.

And if you want to do it without coordinates or dynamo, there is a really really really really old ghetto way to do it:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...E2iR9rtiMAFxqA
      Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
      @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Would this require me to put a spot coordinate on every steel element? I was already planning on using Dynamo for some other functions but am not extremely familiar with how I could push the values through there into a list.

Comment

Yes, it would. Dynamo is a much better and more automated answer, if you can figure out how to use it.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

We use Dynamo on similar situation but with working point on geometry setout. I imagine you could do the same workflow for what you are trying to do.
            1. Create a adaptive point. Insert X,Y,Z shared length parameters in this family.
            2. Create a generic model tag family. Insert the same X,Y,Z shared parameter there.
            3.Load both families in your project. Place the adaptive point where it need to be. Lock the 3D view and tag all with the generic model tag
            4.Fire up Dynamo and run. Dynamo will measure the X,Y,Z of these adaptive points then push these value in the tag families.

revit.png
            dynamo_grath.png
            Ngoc Nguyen at Parallel
            [email protected]

Comment

Mine is similar & requires the project to have a parameters of "X Coord" Y Coord" & "Z Coord", however this example only works for elements that have a single placement point, beams are not one of those types of elements so it would have to be tweaked slightly.
              Attached Files
              Brian Mackey |BD Mackey Consulting
              www.bdmackeyconsulting.com/blog
              @Twitter

Comment