Structural Framing Plan-Coarse view, Joist gap at beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structural Framing Plan-Coarse view, Joist gap at beam

I'm unable to decipher how to create and to control the amount of gap (graphically) between the end of a joist and its supporting beam in a framing plan at coarse setting. At medium detail setting the joists end at center line of beam. At coarse setting SOME gap back from the beam (which is desired) and others don't. After too many hours, I remain unable to determine how to control this behavior.
    Any and all insights on this "problem" are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

This is an automatic parameter controlled by structural settings. You can edit the cutback distance in structural settings. The parameter reads whether or not the beam end is joined to the supporting member. If the member is joined to the supporting member it will automatically cut-back the single line representation in plan. This can be an issue if it is difficult to get members to 'join' when placed in the project. In more complex framing situations this can be a major issue. I have looked into creating a beam family with a custom single line cut back parameter that is controlled manually, but I have not had time to do so. Try moving the member end connection point away and then back to the member that is supporting it. (headache) :banghead:

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Through alternate venue, I received this video reply (Structural Beam Gap - SherryPittman's library) which cleared away much of my confusion on this topic.
      As the tutor explains, sometimes problems arise from HOW things are drawn. That appears to be the case here, as I had used a named, sloped reference plane as my work plane in creating the joists that WOULD NOT "gap" at their ends. It's as though the bar joists I drew were "unaware" of the WF beam (because I neither snapped to the beam nor picked them as supports when I drew them) and therefore the cutback distance in structural settings does not "work". Unfortunately for me, Revit does not seem to provide a method for picking supports after the joist (or beam system) is drawn. = (.

Comment