Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheet production

Hi there,

I've just started to work with Revit structure. (i hope my english is good enough for you to understand).
    When i draw my floor plan of a first or second floor, i want to see many the walls below the floor. This was a struggele for me in the first place. Because i won't to see hidden line's with the hatch pattern from the walls below the floor.
    Now i have discovered to work with project parameters for walls and then using them in the vv override filters.
    This works fine. Only thing i can't figure out is at my window's. Here i don't want to see the hatch pattern from my wall.

In the attachment a picture from revit and an example of how it should look like in autocad.

I've tried to use a masking region in the window familie that i am using. But beside the top window and bottem floor is still a wall that revit will place its pattern form.

Any ideas how to solve this?
    Attached Files
    http://bross.webklik.nl/page/homepage
    www.vanbragtbv.nl

You have to look at your View Range Parameter in the Views Instance Properties. What View Direction does your Plan type use?
    - Peter -
    www.revitogbim.blogspot.com

Comment

the only way is to tune the view range so that the cut plane cuts the windows. doing that, you should try to work in the first floor view and play with view range so that you can see the floor above. I personaly use walls parameters to show above wall's pattern. this way, I have cut pattern in the material, and override by filter for above. it may vary with your standards.
      Julien
      "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
      P. DAC
      Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ptranberg View Post
        You have to look at your View Range Parameter in the Views Instance Properties. What View Direction does your Plan type use?
        Hello,

Thanks for your answer,

I've tried different settings in the view range. At the moment bottom is in de window and the view depth is below the bottom of the window. Cut plane is just 10mm above the floor.

I need to see my concrete walls underneath and above the floor. therefore the cut plane is just above the floor.
        For brick walls above floor i'll use hide element in view. So they won't show up.
        Last edited by Bross; July 20, 2011, 01:23 PM.
        www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Hi,

Revit is made especially for architects. Architects cut above the floor and look down, while engineers cut bellow the beams and look up.
          In RST, you can make a special floor plan, and set the direction to up. Then you can set in the View Ranges: Cut plane through windows, Upper level on the 0.00 level of the above slab, and View depth somewhere above the lower window level.
          This is a try and error method. See which one fits the best to your needs.

@Julien: The problem with your method is that if the above wall is not the same as the one bellow, the formwork plan will not be correct. Also what do you do at the last level?

Lucian.
          Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional

Comment

Originally posted by lucis29 View Post

@Julien: The problem with your method is that if the above wall is not the same as the one bellow, the formwork plan will not be correct. Also what do you do at the last level?

Lucian.
            Hi Lucian, I do this to have the footprints of the walls above, specialy when they are not at the same place. this is the standard here in France to have footprints from above structure. I don't have Revit now, but I will give try to your method. I agree too that it's not really easy to tune the way you want. We need both dot lines and pattern footprints from above. I will be back with examples after vacation. cheers.
            Julien
            "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
            P. DAC
            Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Comment

Hi there Lucian,
              How do you set the direction to up?

Here in Holland we want to see the structure underneath the floor. Walls that are above the floor and don't have a structure underneath the floor will be draw as symbol lines with annotation of the weight in kN/m2.
              For concrete walls we want to see walls above and underneath the floor. When concrete walls are exactly above each other i have to set the wall above floor as transparent. This way i get a double hatch pattern telling that there is a wall under and above floor.
              see the attachment.

Now the only problem i still have is the have the disired result i have to set cut plane above floor. This will cause that hatch pattern's are draw also there where my windows are.

Thanks guys for replying to my tread.

Floorplan with Walls.png
              www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Hi Bross:
                Go to a floor plan->Edit type->Duplicate-><Insert your name here>->View Direction change to Up (usually is set to down).

About the other problems you have...If you cant manage to do by overwriting the default patterns for walls and beams, a workaround would be to create 2 floor plans and overlap them in the sheet.
                I remember there was a similar discussion on AUGI forum long time ago, but since I was at the beginning with Revit, it didn't interested me. If someone around here remembers the name...please tell us.

l.e.: Looking more carefully to your example, I believe you will not escape without overlapping floor plans....

Regards,
                Lucian.
                Last edited by lucis29; July 25, 2011, 08:24 AM.
                Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional

Comment

Lucian is correct.

Engineering plans however do not cut below the slab and look up (at least not in Australia they don't)
                  We cut just above the slab and look down. What we want to include is any blockwork or walls that happen at that slab level so we try to place our cuts below your window sills, this way we see that blockwork exists at slab level below your window for example.

We still see our walls below as hidden elements, however alot of us like to show any load-bearing elements underneath the slab with a grey 60% reduction hatch to it, so that it can be distinguished from non-load bearing elements underneath.

This hatching of elements under the slab is and has been a big problem for revit for many years.

There are a few ways to handle the problem, one of the most annoying but most reliable ways is as Lucian suggested.
                  You create one view to look up (reflected ceiling plans work well for this) And in this looking up view you set your hatch as you desire to show the load-bearing elements. This actually shows the walls that are just under your slab, and I suggest you want to cut this before the bottom of your slab so you dont see slab beam soffitt lines as solid projection lines.

The problem with this method is basically you are creating duplicate plans for every other plan. This means double your views to manage. Its not impossible but something to consider logistically.

you can also mess around with showing your slabs as transparent, but this will cause you other problems such as soffitt lines showing solid instead of hidden. This option will really only work in a flat slab or pad footing type scenario where you have no slab steps or at least no soffit lines. Be careful using this method its probably actually more work than the reflected ceiling plan method and less reliable as you will be constantly adjusting view settings as you add or change elements. Definately a less forgiving method.

The other option is filled regions, but its a terrible option as this will not update automatically should your walls change location in your model, remember the filled region is just a hatch region and only applies to that particular view. This will get you out of a bind and is a quick fix, but keep in mind it needs constant attention and adjusting when your walls or elements under move. You can lock your filled region faces to a wall face, but this does not always work.

Comment

Karalon10 with your idea of the 2 plans on a sheet to show load bearing can you please explain a little further.

I have duplicated the level below and changed the view direction to up. I played around with the view range so it cuts just below the floor above. Under the visibility graphics I changed the cut pattern to a colour 192 which is grey shade. I changed the lines of the columns and walls accordingly to be hidden. I then placed the level above floor plan on the sheet first and then I placed the level below floor plan on top of that.

I didn't get the desired result I was looking for. Can you please show in detail how you got to show load bearing element under with your method.

Comment