Curved beams in elevation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curved beams in elevation

Hi! I'm one of the new ones in revit, and I discover it by myself. I have a roof truss with curved superior flange. Can anyone tell me how to introduce a curved beam in elevation?...or is it more appropriate to use directly a truss?. Thanks for any help
    Attached Files

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

You can create curved beams in both plan and elevation, by clicking the beam tool and then choosing to use an arc.
    If you do this in elevation, you´ll need a named ref. plane or a grid line to place it on :beer:
    Attached Files
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

whether it needs to be a beam or a truss is going to depend on what the engineer decides.

To get a curved beam, you can place it in section or elevation. Go to the view (such as the one you have posted.)
      Go to your Home Tab, choose Beam. You'll get a dialog box that asks you for a Work Plane. (Hopefully you have a column grid line to pick. Otherwise, in plan, create a Reference Plane where you need the centerline of your beam and name the Reference Plane so you can find it.)
      Then, in your Draw Panel, choose the Pick tool. Then, pick the curved line you have drawn in your elevation (or section.) Once you've placed this one, you can go back to plan view and copy it to the spacing you require.
      Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
      AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
      ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

Ive also used masses to create "S" curves and used the pick line when drawing my framing members. Works fairly well IMO.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Danke vielmals to all of you!....that seems to work. But how do I control the radius of the beam if I can't( or can I?) create a "curved reference plane" in elevation?..in the picture that i have attached the curve is just a model line, I can't use it to define the curvature of my beam.

Comment

Hi,

You can draw a detail line in your elevation to match the beam radius you require. Pick the detail line to create your beam.
            What I did last time was to create a roof as a reference. The reason was that the roof radius was not uniform and varied depended on the length of the roof. In plan view the bldg had a slight kick as well.

J

Comment