Paint the Face of generic model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint the Face of generic model

I need to paint the face of a number of generic models (for a meeting presentation) in the project.
    I have no idea why, but I can't select any face after selecting the paint tool.
    To be clear..I can't select any face of the GM's.....it will select slabs and column faces.

I found I can open the GM family and paint any face in the editor environment.
    But can't even select a face in the project environment?

What gives?
    I certainly don't want to open every family just to apply paint (and worse have to open them all again to UN-paint later)

Also...once painted (if GM faces CAN be painted, and I can't imagine why they couldn't be)...is it possible to apply a filter so the paint is NOT shown (when I need to turn it off) ??

Thanks in advance!
    "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
    Both are equally terrifying."
    - Arthur C Clarke

You cant do it on families, in the project environment. Categories dont matter. You can paint it in the family editor with a PARAMETER though, and that will have the same effect if you use instance parameters.

EDIT: You say youve done it on columns. If you can, then im wrong about it not working on ALL families. But ive never seen it work on a component. Are the columns built from walls? or....
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I couldn't get the paint tool to work on a GM or column (structural or architectural.)
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
        You cant do it on families, in the project environment. Categories dont matter. You can paint it in the family editor with a PARAMETER though, and that will have the same effect if you use instance parameters.

EDIT: You say youve done it on columns. If you can, then im wrong about it not working on ALL families. But ive never seen it work on a component. Are the columns built from walls? or....
        Aaron - Thanks for the quick reply and confirmation of the no painting family face in the project. (I wonder why?)

When you say do it in the editor with a parameter, I take it you're referring to a simple visibilty parameter...either on or off correct?

Lastly, with columns - dude, my level of revit experience MIGHT be equal to yours when you're in the middle of REM sleep.....

Some of the stuff you guys talk about on here blows me away, and I wish I understood it - I'm just glad to be able to muddle thru what I need to do to hit a submittal date with a presentable set.
        So at first, when you kinda "questioned it" - I thought maybe I just thought I had painted a column face before. So I tried it and it worked.

I just use the columns that come in the box.

Thanks again for the reply.
        - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by cellophane View Post
          I couldn't get the paint tool to work on a GM or column (structural or architectural.)
          Paints for me...not that I ever have a need to do so.
          Attached Files
          - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant1 View Post
            When you say do it in the editor with a parameter, I take it you're referring to a simple visibilty parameter...either on or off correct?
            In the family editor you can use the Paint tool to paint surfaces with a material parameter. This way you can change the material of the surfaces you need when you need to.
            Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
            Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant1 View Post
              Paints for me...not that I ever have a need to do so.
              weird. I tried it again and still nothing. :crazy:
              Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
              BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew K View Post
                In the family editor you can use the Paint tool to paint surfaces with a material parameter. This way you can change the material of the surfaces you need when you need to.
                Andrew,
                Can you (or someone) please expand on this? What's the process?
                Sounds like it would work perfectly for what I need.

Thanks

[Edit] nope...on/off visibility didn't work...can't select just the paint.
                I figured that would be too easy
                Defiant1
                Last edited by Defiant1; March 5, 2014, 07:52 PM.
                - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Parametric painted finishes in families are explained in this thread.
                  Julie Kidder
                  Architect + BIM Director
                  Hartman + Majewski Design Group

Comment