Problem Adding Voids to Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem Adding Voids to Family

I am trying to edit an OOTB family to add a void extrusion that will allow me to plumb cut the end of framing members. I was able to successfully accomplish this with the OOTB W-Beam family, however now I am trying to do the same with the HSS and Nominal Lumber families and am running into problems. After I add the void extrusion to the family and insert into the project i get the warning "Can't create type" This only occurs after I align and lock the boundary of the void extrusion to the reference planes which define the families geometry. I am following the exact same procedure as I did for the W-Beam family, but I cannot get it to work.

Does anyone have any idea why as soon as I lock the void extrusion to the reference planes, why Revit cannot create the type when inserted into a project file? I've attached some images to help show the void extrusion I am adding.
    Attached Files

hi there,

there can be more than one reson,
    perhaps you can add your family to this post.

For one's it helped me to constrain the void when still edditting the void, after constraining the void, klik finish.
    Another reason could be, that the parameter always have to be a positive value or not less than one.
    Revit sometimes does not know whether to go left or right, when starting from zero.

Hope this will helper, otherwise when placing the family here someone can take a look at it.

Greetz Brrrr
    http://bross.webklik.nl/page/homepage
    www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Problem adding void to family

Here are the two families I referenced before. I was able to get the W-Beam family to work no problem, but cannot the nominal dimensional lumber or HSS family to work out. I am constraining the void to the reference planes in the same manner, but when I load the family into a project I get the error "Cannot create type"

Anyone know what I am missing here?
      Attached Files

Comment

problem solved

Hi,

here is your fixed family,

it was a matter of properly aligning the void to the refplane's. Also set back the length of the slanting refline.
        This should not be above the top refplane.

explanation.jpg

I hope that solves your problem.
        Attached Files
        www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

I´ve edited your family in revit structure version 2013, i hope that's not a problem for you.
          I will add the file in a 2012 version tomorrow when i'm at the office:coffee:, there i still have revit 2012 installed. Here at home:beer: i´ve only got 2013.

Greetz Bross:thumbsup:
          Last edited by Bross; November 13, 2012, 07:32 PM.
          www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Thanks Bross. I only have RST2012 so if you could save it down that would be great. I tried recreating the void again with your suggestions with the same results. I just can't figure this out. I created a new void, aligned and locked the void to the end, top & bottom and to the diagonal reference line. I shortened up the reference line and locked the end to the point as you showed. This was the same thing I did for the W-beam, guess I forgot this in creating the HSS family. After doing all this it still gives the error of cannot create type.

Anyways, perhaps I can deconstruct what you did if you could save the family down to 2012.

Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by Bross View Post
            I´ve edited your family in revit structure version 2013, i hope that's not a problem for you.
            I will add the file in a 2012 version tomorrow when i'm at the office:coffee:, there i still have revit 2012 installed. Here at home:beer: i´ve only got 2013.

Greetz Bross:thumbsup:

Comment

Right as I posted the last message I figured out what I was doing wrong. I was over constraining the void by locking the vertical section to the vertical reference plane.

NO need to save the family down to RST2012, I can re-work my families now.

Again, Thanks for your help!

Originally posted by RPU_Eric View Post
              Thanks Bross. I only have RST2012 so if you could save it down that would be great. I tried recreating the void again with your suggestions with the same results. I just can't figure this out. I created a new void, aligned and locked the void to the end, top & bottom and to the diagonal reference line. I shortened up the reference line and locked the end to the point as you showed. This was the same thing I did for the W-beam, guess I forgot this in creating the HSS family. After doing all this it still gives the error of cannot create type.

Anyways, perhaps I can deconstruct what you did if you could save the family down to 2012.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

Great that i could help you with this.

unfortunately you can't save down, but i would have fixed it as well in 2012,
                I'm happy to read you can solve it your self.

Bross
                www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment