Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bending a HSS beam for smooth connection

Hello everyone,
    I am doing a project in school trying to recreate a pedestrian bridge at UNT. My question is: Looking at the HSS beam in the picture is there a way on Revit Structure to bend this Hollow tube steel beam to make a smooth connection. The beam goes up about 4.9% to a point than goes down -4.3%. Or is my only option to make many small beams to make it appear its a smooth connection.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Files

Is this two straight beams that come together in an inverted V? Or is this a radiused beam?

If it's two beams, then use two beam at different slopes.
    If it's one radiused beam, then you can place it, along a radius, in an elevation view.

If what you're trying to do is re-create what is in the photograph, you may also want to look into Structural Trusses.
    Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
    AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
    ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
      Is this two straight beams that come together in an inverted V? Or is this a radiused beam?

If it's two beams, then use two beam at different slopes.
      If it's one radiused beam, then you can place it, along a radius, in an elevation view.

If what you're trying to do is re-create what is in the photograph, you may also want to look into Structural Trusses.
      Thank you for your quick response
      It is one radiused bean. My apologies but im a newbie, can you explain how i place it along a radius?

Comment

To make a arched beam in Revit you need to have the arch drawn in some other form first, either a model line or arched roof. You can then use the "Pick Lines" tool when drawing your beam and choose the arched line/surface. Please note that you will not be able to adjust this arches radius after you place it, so get it nailed down the first time.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

This is a cool thread. I have not yet had the opportunity to make a curved beam. So I gave this a whirl. Using Revit 2013 I followed Alex's instructions. I cut a section perpendicular to a grid line. Drew a curved Model line by picking said grid line as my reference plane. Then picked that line to model my beam. I would like to amend Alex's statement about the adjustable radius. I was able to change the radius once the beam was modeled. After you click on the beam, a grip appears at the center point of the beam's z-Direction Justification. You can either click and drag to any point or add a dimensional radius. You can also snap to other elements, such as Reference Planes and other beams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Greg View Post
            This is a cool thread. I have not yet had the opportunity to make a curved beam. So I gave this a whirl. Using Revit 2013 I followed Alex's instructions. I cut a section perpendicular to a grid line. Drew a curved Model line by picking said grid line as my reference plane. Then picked that line to model my beam. I would like to amend Alex's statement about the adjustable radius. I was able to change the radius once the beam was modeled. After you click on the beam, a grip appears at the center point of the beam's z-Direction Justification. You can either click and drag to any point or add a dimensional radius. You can also snap to other elements, such as Reference Planes and other beams.

I haven't done this in 2012 even... last time was 2011... looks like you now can change it after its been placed. COOL :beer:
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment