Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Structural Firm Switching to Revit help!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Structural Firm Switching to Revit help!

    So, not even sure if this is the best place for this, but I think it fits so I'll post it anyway.

    First let me point out that Revit is not exactly huge where I live right now. It is slowly getting there but ACAD is still (by majority) the program of choice. I graduated from college with an architectural drafting degree last summer and throughout school we were taught a little bit about how to use revit in anticipation for when it becomes the program of choice. Many larger architectural firms are using revit right now, and simply exporting to ACAD to send to our structural office.

    My big question is this; I was hired at this company for the sole purpose of the company having someone who was well versed in using Revit once the time comes that Revit takes over. I didn't think it would be a huge issue, but it has been for me. It has made me have to deal with a huge amount of stress with creating templates and writing documents and making families for the company. I got through those initial stages fairly easily enough, the problem now is that every time we get a Revit project in the door, I am forced to do it in revit as well as doing it in ACAD at the same time. My boss says we're doing this because it will give him an idea of the capabilities of the program.

    Now it's no lie that the reason I'm staying with this company is because once Revit takes of locally, being the only person in the office trained to use it, will have its advantages at that time. I'll have say in things.

    What I really need to know is what everyone thinks is the easiest way for a structural engineering firm to start using revit.

    I've also tried telling my boss that the only way to really start using revit is to "jump in" to it. He keeps making reference to it with phrases like "in ACAD you can do this and this can you do that in revit?" and it's a completely different program. I could use some suggestions on how to explain this to him in the easiest way possible. He keeps bringing up the fact that once contractors see a 3D model of something they'll assume that it is correct even though a 3D model is just a representation of a finished product not a detail.

    I'm just starting to get the feeling that staying with this company waiting for revit to take off it turning out to be more trouble than it's worth. I don't feel challenged anymore with what we're doing. Even now working usually once or twice a week on projects in revit I don't feel like I'm using my knowledge of revit to the best of my abilities.

    Thanks,
    -Alex H.
    Last edited by Alexander_J_Hicks; October 15, 2012, 01:40 PM. Reason: Added a paragraph.
    Alex Hicks
    Structural Drafter
    Campbell Comeau Engineering

    #2
    He keeps bringing up the fact that once contractors see a 3D model of something they'll assume that it is correct even though a 3D model is just a representation of a finished product not a detail.
    :hide::crazy:
    Seriously?

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by Alexander_J_Hicks View Post
      ...My big question is this; I was hired at this company for the sole purpose of the company having someone who was well versed in using Revit once the time comes that Revit takes over. I didn't think it would be a huge issue, but it has been for me. It has made me have to deal with a huge amount of stress with creating templates and writing documents and making families for the company. I got through those initial stages fairly easily enough, the problem now is that every time we get a Revit project in the door, I am forced to do it in revit as well as doing it in ACAD at the same time. My boss says we're doing this because it will give him an idea of the capabilities of the program...
      What was the question?

      Originally posted by Alexander_J_Hicks View Post
      ...What I really need to know is what everyone thinks is the easiest way for a structural engineering firm to start using revit.
      Remove AutoCAD from your computers. (Actually, I say this tongue-in-cheek. But you may not be able to read the sarcasm in my text.) You asked the easiest way to get them to start using Revit; that would be the way. But we know that it's not practical. There will still be (rare) times when you NEED to use AutoCAD.

      Originally posted by Alexander_J_Hicks View Post
      I've also tried telling my boss that the only way to really start using revit is to "jump in" to it. He keeps making reference to it with phrases like "in ACAD you can do this and this can you do that in revit?" and it's a completely different program. I could use some suggestions on how to explain this to him in the easiest way possible...
      Absolutely! Jump into it. It's the only way you're gonna "get it." Most people are afraid of change. The Engineers I've worked with are the worst! The firm where I was working when Revit first hit, I begged for Revit to be installed on my machine. It took the Engineers 3+ years (and a mandate by the directors of the firm) to consider looking into Revit. AND 6 years after I begged for Revit there, I started here, where they were beginning with Revit and wanted someone seasoned to help with their transition. I have a small group here, so it was easy to get them up to speed. But I do still have one, who does a majority of design, that is slower on the uptake than the others. He'll get there if he takes the time in the program. For the most part, he tends to mark up prints and hand them to us that have more experience in the program.

      Originally posted by Alexander_J_Hicks View Post
      ...He keeps bringing up the fact that once contractors see a 3D model of something they'll assume that it is correct even though a 3D model is just a representation of a finished product not a detail...
      What does your contract call for as deliverables? We still deliver printed paper as our Construction Documents. The LEGAL means for conveying our design is still 2-d. The details the contractor sees on our Construction Documents were started with the model, which is in no way "complete;" the detailing embelishes the model to show intent for construction. ~IF~ the contractor wants the 3-d model, we're still reluctant to hand it over. Discussions and agreements are made before release.


      Originally posted by Alexander_J_Hicks View Post
      I'm just starting to get the feeling that staying with this company waiting for revit to take off it turning out to be more trouble than it's worth. I don't feel challenged anymore with what we're doing. Even now working usually once or twice a week on projects in revit I don't feel like I'm using my knowledge of revit to the best of my abilities.
      ...
      Maybe time to update the resume?
      Good Luck!
      Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
      AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
      ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
        What was the question?
        Ahaha, I think I meant to work "What I really need to know is what everyone thinks is the easiest way for a structural engineering firm to start using revit." into that paragraph but it ended up running long. LOL.

        Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
        Remove AutoCAD from your computers. (Actually, I say this tongue-in-cheek. But you may not be able to read the sarcasm in my text.) You asked the easiest way to get them to start using Revit; that would be the way. But we know that it's not practical. There will still be (rare) times when you NEED to use AutoCAD.
        I actually wish I could remove ACAD. I hate the program. It's incredibly frustrating compared to revit.

        Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
        Absolutely! Jump into it. It's the only way you're gonna "get it." Most people are afraid of change. The Engineers I've worked with are the worst! The firm where I was working when Revit first hit, I begged for Revit to be installed on my machine. It took the Engineers 3+ years (and a mandate by the directors of the firm) to consider looking into Revit. AND 6 years after I begged for Revit there, I started here, where they were beginning with Revit and wanted someone seasoned to help with their transition. I have a small group here, so it was easy to get them up to speed. But I do still have one, who does a majority of design, that is slower on the uptake than the others. He'll get there if he takes the time in the program. For the most part, he tends to mark up prints and hand them to us that have more experience in the program.
        Yeah, I think my boss is afraid that if the entire office switches to revit, the fast-paced workflow that he's been building around ACAD for 30 years with go down the drain. It's an understandable fear, but like you said, taking time in the program is the only way to learn it.

        Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
        What does your contract call for as deliverables? We still deliver printed paper as our Construction Documents. The LEGAL means for conveying our design is still 2-d. The details the contractor sees on our Construction Documents were started with the model, which is in no way "complete;" the detailing embelishes the model to show intent for construction. ~IF~ the contractor wants the 3-d model, we're still reluctant to hand it over. Discussions and agreements are made before release.
        We still in most cases only have to send printed paper, but there is the occasional contract that calls for electronic copies, usually when they require these, we just send PDFs.

        Thinking back on it now, he may be under the impression that because Revit creates 3D models, we have to put them on paper.

        Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
        Maybe time to update the resume?
        Good Luck!
        Unfortunately I'm way ahead of you lol.
        Thanks!.
        Alex Hicks
        Structural Drafter
        Campbell Comeau Engineering

        Comment


          #5
          I don't know what the job market is like in Nova Scotia but... if you have a job that is using Revit in a area that doesn't use Revit... would trying a new job be the right thing? Your job is not designed to challenge you and if you think that you are in for a would of disappointment in your life. You should enjoy doing the work that is your job.

          Do you have a job? ---> Yes
          Do you like your job ---> ???
          Would doing the same job at a different place make your happier ---> ???
          -Alex Cunningham

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
            Remove AutoCAD from your computers. (Actually, I say this tongue-in-cheek. But you may not be able to read the sarcasm in my text.) You asked the easiest way to get them to start using Revit; that would be the way. But we know that it's not practical. There will still be (rare) times when you NEED to use AutoCAD.
            Oh how I wish I could do that...
            Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO


            chad
            BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

            Comment

            Related Topics

            Collapse

            • The Revit Outcast
              I have fallen into a very hard position and I'm not sure where else to talk about it. I think this might be the space, maybe someone else has or is experiencing...
              February 22, 2019, 03:42 PM
            • Quality and Efficiency/CAD v Revit
              I work in a small office that is converting to REVIT. Like many offices, we are struggling to change our practices while working to assuage the doubts...
              October 22, 2012, 02:43 PM
            • Question on ethics of withholding Revit models?
              I'm at an impasse as a business owner with some of my customers. I am a small firm of 5 employees that specialize in MEP design for the AEC industry....
              June 15, 2019, 03:55 PM
            • Revit as Contractor Best Practices?
              I'm trying to rap my head around how to best use Revit from the contractor perspective. I've gotten up to speed on a lot of the basic stuff, but I feel...
              May 6, 2015, 03:12 PM
            • How to get a job in this industry
              It has been a very frustrating experience for me over the past 10 months since finishing my studies in the field of Architecture. I was involved in a...
              October 3, 2012, 01:05 PM
            Working...
            X