Stud array on beam issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stud array on beam issues

I have a two part question here. I am trying to modify the wide flange beam family to add an array for studs on top of the beam. The array parameter itself works, but I ran accross a couple issues:

1) I found out that adding a ref plane above the top of beam (for the top of stud) pushes the top of beam down in the project. This is despite the properties of the other reference planes not changing (defines origin, top, etc). If there is just geometry and no ref plane or parameters for top of stud, then this doesn't happen. It also doesn't happen if I turn the studs off in the family via yes/no parameter. How can I prevent this from happening? See attached image.
    beamfamily.jpg

2) I'm new to shared parameters and nesting families. I want to be able to adjust the stud sizes within the project. I created shared parameters (tried both instance and type) for the height and diameter of the stud, and made that stud family shared. I loaded it into the beam family and then into my project. I can select the stud itself but the properties for the size parameters are greyed out in the properties. Am I going about this the wrong way?

Not sure about the first question. It seems it's taking it's height, not from the RP, but from the extents of the geometry. I guess that makes sense, but maybe we can figure a workaround.

For the parameter question, you are halfway there. First, create parameters in the child family. Nest it, then create a new set of parameters in the parent family to drive the child parameters. Then, you'll be able to drive the child parameters in the project environment.

Can you post both families so we can play around with it? There's got to be a way to keep the top of beam from lowering when you add the studs.
    Last edited by dzatto; July 25, 2012, 06:13 PM.
    Dan

Comment

to response to #2 question, you will need to have the nested stud family associated with <type> parameter inside the beam family.

select the stud nested family, you should be able to see a option called <type> then you can set it as a parameter from the beam family, once it is done, you should be able to control the type of the nested stud family by selecting the beam family properties.
      Philip Chan
      Practice Technology Manager | HKS
      http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I think I've got what I need now for adjusting the stud sizes within the project environment, where I change the parameter within the beam properties, not by selecting the nested stud.

As far as the elevation issue, I've attached both the stud and modified beam family. I tried messing with the reference plane properties within the stud fam to no avail. Something strange is happening now though where when I load it into a new project, and the studs aren't turned on, the beam is still offset in elevation by the default stud height. In my existing project, the beam elevation will change if the studs are turned on or off.
        Attached Files

Comment

When you add anything into your framing family – it being only drafting lines or detail components it will affect the overall bounding box of the family.
          Cheers,
          Jh

Comment

Okay, I'm close to getting the elevation issue worked around. The center reference plane is by default set to 'define origin'. I created a ref plane offset above the center plane by a distance equaling the height of the stud, and set this new plane to 'define origin'. What I don't know is how to give the dimension between the center and new origin plane a parameter that will adjust along with the stud height (which is a shared paremeter in the nested stud family). I haven't used reporting parameters, would this be the place to use it? I'm not really sure how they work.

After thinking a little more, this solution may work if there are studs. But if there aren't any (controlled by a visibility yes/no), I'm not sure how I would go about getting the origin plane aligned to the center plane because the dimension would have to equal 0.

Any ideas?

Comment

your dim can = 0
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

yeah that was a brain fart. i tried it and got an error when I adjusted a parameter but it was unrelated to the dimension reading 0.

Comment

Sorry josh, I asked you to post the families, but haven't had time to look at them. As for the parameter issue, just create a parameter called center offset or something. Then, create a formula (for that parameter) in the family types dialogue that says = stud height (or whatever the stud height parameter is called). That way, whatever the stud height is will also be what the offset is.
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                    Sorry josh, I asked you to post the families, but haven't had time to look at them. As for the parameter issue, just create a parameter called center offset or something. Then, create a formula (for that parameter) in the family types dialogue that says = stud height (or whatever the stud height parameter is called). That way, whatever the stud height is will also be what the offset is.
                    The problem I'm having is that the stud height parameter is created within the nested stud family, and I can't find a way to reference this parameter within the host beam family.

Comment