Beam with Slope in Middle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beam with Slope in Middle

I would like to create a beam with slope which is only in the middle as attached.
    I tried to edit the OOTB beam profile but still can't .
    Please kindly teach me a procedure how to do it step by step,
    Thanks.
    Attached Files

If the ootb beam template is a sweep it should be doable. It just depends on which workplane the sweep path is hosted.
    Open the ootb beam, select the geometry and click Edit.
    Now go to front elevation view and select the solid. Click Edit Sweep Path.

One of two things can happen: the purple sketch line shows, which you can now edit to take the form you want,
    OR (and this is more likely), revit gives an error and shows you a textbox in which you can choose a new view to show the Sweep path.

Assuming the second thing happens: exit command by escape, you will need to rebuild the family, or rehost it.
    To rehost, escape, select geometry and click Rehost / set workplane (whichever is available). Now rehost to the Center (Front/Back refplane and you should see two things: profile is rotated 90degr, and you can now sketch the profile as you please...
    Or go to plan view, cut to clipboard and go back to elevation view. Paste and edit to match your needs (need to reconstrain everything again to the proper workplanes, dimensions, labels and so on...)
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Yan
      I would like to create a beam with slope which is only in the middle as attached.
      I tried to edit the OOTB beam profile but still can't .
      hmm.. even though creating a family in this case is possible, it does not seem to be necessary at all. You can just adjust the start and end offsets of a regular rectangular beam. Then adjust or cut the ends of the beam if it is necessary, by join geometry, trim with reference planes, or cut by face.
      Attached Files
      Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Alf, the 1st and 3rd beam should be in the same direction as the one in the middle... Makes the problem even easier, I know.
        But I think that it might be good to create a beam with slope if this is a recurring situation. For several reasons:

- Adjusting the offsets makes the beam act crazy when you move the joints later on to a different position. All of the sudden the offset values can go completely nuts, attaching your beam to a foundation slab 3 levels below... (at least, that's my experience)
        - Creating a beam with an actual modelled slope gives you great handling on placement of the sloped parts and elevations of the horizontal parts.

See attached for a quick mockup.
        Attached Files
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Hi,
          As mdradvies said, my beam is as attached.

Hi mdradvies, I can't open your file cuz i don't have 2012 verstion.

furthermore, It's unsuccessful though I folllow your instruction above.

So far, I only can do the Beam Family which first and end points are at the same level ..

Please guide me how to sovle it
          Attached Files

Comment