Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annotation with text and lines

Hi there,

I want to make a family that contains text and a couple of lines.
    When the family is loaded into a project;

- I need to be able to change the text as an instance. (so that a copy in the same view can contain other text).
    - and i want to be able to change the length of the lines. (so the object will contain grip point that i can drag).

A line based family cannot have labels.(?right)
    and a generetic model based family cannot contain ref planes.(?)

Still need to learn a lot. there could be a simple solution to this, than i just din't see it.
    http://bross.webklik.nl/page/homepage
    www.vanbragtbv.nl

Here's how I would do it. I'm sure there's a better way, though. I'm not the family guru here. :laugh:

1. Create a generic annotative family.
    2. Add a label
    3. In the labe box, create a parameter. Make sure it's set to be text, and it's an instance parameter.
    4. Create another family, this time a generic model based family (yes, they can have reference planes. I'm pretty sure all families can).
    5. Draw 2 more reference planes and set them to weak refererence planes in the properties dialogue. This will allow you to have grips for changing the lengths.
    6. Add a parameter for length, and also an equality dimension string so the line stays centered on the insertion point. Draw a symbolic line where you need it and lock the ends to the reference planes using the align command.
    7. Load your annotative family into the generic model family
    8. Select the annotative family. In the properties dialoge box you will see a text category. The parameter you created for your label should be there. Click on the small button to the far right.
    9. Create an instance parameter here. You have just linked the label from the annotation family to this parameter. Now, you will be able to edit it.
    10. Load this family into a project. You should be able to edit the text, and adjust the lines.

Like I said, I'm not that strong at families yet. But that should work.
    Dan

Comment

Thanks this was helpfull,

I now created one family where i don't have ref planes but lines.
      This is my result so far.
      The next steps to improve would be;

When family is loaded,
      - to drag text around,
      - to have grib point instead of changing length in the properties.

Perhaps to actually have those grip point i should have to make a family in another.
      Attached Files
      www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Bross View Post
        to have grib point instead of changing length in the properties.

Perhaps to actually have those grip point i should have to make a family in another.
        You should try to do it as a detail component with a left and right RP, this will give you the opportunity to define the start/end of the line.
        For the text,try to nest a generic annotation.
        For moving the text once loaded... I can't help.

Hope This helps
        Alexandre Cantin
        "BIM is happening now! Be part of it."

Comment

Hi Bross,

Make the overall category an Detail Component, and nest the Generic Annotation Labels into it. It sounds like you would like to draw it like a line, so start with a Line based Detail Component Family Template.

Nest the annotation, and lock them to another Ref Plane, dimension that Refplane to have the annotation move around in the project. If you set the refplanes to weak, they won't have the grips.

Take a look at the example.

You could make the annotation a Tag to freely place it anywhere you want (this version cannot have the annotation under or left of the line.) But then it would be 2 actions instead of 1 every time.

Bjorn.
          Attached Files

Comment

Here's my final result.
            Looks the same as yours.
            Attached Files
            www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Bross View Post
              Thanks this was helpfull,

I now created one family where i don't have ref planes but lines.
              This is my result so far.
              The next steps to improve would be;

When family is loaded,
              - to drag text around,
              - to have grib point instead of changing length in the properties.

Just like Alex said, you need to nest the annotation into a generic model family. Just like I described above. THEN, you can add reference planes (not lines) and set them to be a weak reference. That will allow you to edit the line length using grips.

I don't know if it's possible to drag the text around, since it's nested in a family.

Oh, others have posted some examples while I was typing this. Mine's pretty much the same, but I didn't add the half dimension. That way, you can offset the text if you need to by stretching one side of the line further than the other.

Good job Bjorn. Didn't think it was that easy to have the annotation move around. Some little green boxes coming your way. :thumbsup:
              Attached Files
              Last edited by dzatto; November 9, 2011, 03:09 PM.
              Dan

Comment

+ dimensions?

Originally posted by Bjorn_K View Post
                Hi Bross,

Make the overall category an Detail Component, and nest the Generic Annotation Labels into it. It sounds like you would like to draw it like a line, so start with a Line based Detail Component Family Template.

Nest the annotation, and lock them to another Ref Plane, dimension that Refplane to have the annotation move around in the project. If you set the refplanes to weak, they won't have the grips.

Take a look at the example.

You could make the annotation a Tag to freely place it anywhere you want (this version cannot have the annotation under or left of the line.) But then it would be 2 actions instead of 1 every time.

Bjorn.
                awesome, awesome, thanks for sharing!
                is there a way to the end grips to report their x/y's so that an instance slope can be reflected??

Comment

My solution

Here is my result.
                  it really works like a charm for me.

maybe some will say there are a little bit to much drag arrows in it.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Bross; November 22, 2013, 08:26 AM.
                  www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

I am trying to flip the hooks, but when I add a flip parameter, the text turns upsidedown.
                    Revit Architecture 2013 Certified Professional

Comment