Structural Framing automatically offsets with nested family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Structural Framing automatically offsets with nested family

As I work in Arch., I'm not the greatest when it comes to structural framing families...

I am nesting cast in plates to either end of a beam family, however when I load into project it causes my existing beams to offset downwards by the amount the end plate overlaps the top face of the beam.
    IE if my beam is 600mm in Height and the end plate is 650mm Height (25mm top and Bottom) the beam will lower in elevation by 25mm.
    The z Offset Value parameter may be 0.00 but the top flange of the beam sits at -25mm.

The same thing happens if create an extrusion in the beam family, or even just drawing some lines!

Is this a thing for OOTB structural framing families? Is there a work around?
    I'd rather not place the cast in plates individually as this is a steel framed 15 level tower with concrete lift cores and there are hundreds of these cast ins. Also if a steel member moves I'll have to manually coordinate it. Also, adjusting the z Offset of every single beam would be a nightmare.
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Yepppp. Structural Framing Family issue. We were JUST discussing this on my Slack Channel tonight, joking about the time (2013) i built Fireproofing in to the Structural Framing families, and this exact thing became a nightmare. LOL.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      Yepppp. Structural Framing Family issue. We were JUST discussing this on my Slack Channel tonight, joking about the time (2013) i built Fireproofing in to the Structural Framing families, and this exact thing became a nightmare. LOL.
      I did the same thing the other day (0.5mm fire proofing) but didnt notice it, probably because it's such a small dim.
      Luckily i canned that and used paint parameters instead.

This z offset thing really blows, structural families are already a PITA as it is. It certainly can't be a "feature".(?)

Comment

The beam will not move if z/y Justification is set to Origin.
        So, a possible workaround is:
        • Select the beams
        • Change z/y Justification to Origin (the beams will shift)
        • Move them back using Offset Value or change a work plane
        • Replace the beam family.

Comment

Thanks Nurlan, i'll give it a try.

Comment

So, I see this is an older thread but I just got to reading it now..

I used to have framing families with cleat plates nested in also, I cant say I ever had much problem with them but it has been a long time since I used them.

There is now the structural connections module integrated in revit and I have not needed to use nested families since.

As with most things revit it has its bugs, if you go cutting your steel members with reference planes the moment you add a structural connection it will undo that association to the reference plane. Other than that, the connections work well but take a bit of setting up to start with. Someone may have some set up they are willing to share with you.

Comment