Simple Family - Concrete hob or upstand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Family - Concrete hob or upstand

Hi All, new RST user. Greta forum. I think I'll be here a lot. Maybe I'll be able to contribute one day in the distant future as well

Our first Revit building is a 5 storey concrete framed apartment building. Not being your simple square office building, they tend to have concrete appendages all over the place. 100mm high hobs or 1100 high upstand on the edges of balconies are an example. Hobs at the balcony door ways in lieu of the usual step down are another.

I created a family using the 'Generic model floor based' as the template and it does everything I want it to do except it won't join to my slab. This isn't a problem from a visual point of view in plan, but when I take a section through it, the 2 aren't joined like you would see a "framing" element to the slab.

I also tried just using the beam family, but found I had to hack them in a little bit because when 2 instances got too close together, they joined when I really wanted a 50mm gap between them.

So, to the question - what template should be used for these concrete elements, which at the end of the day have no real affect on structure, but are reinforced and part of the main structure. it seems like there should be a "generic structural model" template?

Cheers

* Noob error - could a moderator please move this to the RST families section
    adrianc
    Last edited by adrianc; September 23, 2011, 05:53 AM.

Welcome to the forum.

What if you use another little slab element on top of the main slab, then join the two?
    Attached Files
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Thanks Alfredo. I can see how that will work. Haven't had a chance to try it yet. Been sorting out the mess that got exported to Etabs.

Comment

There is no easy solution for hobs, ideally you would use a framing member, but the issue with this is if you have other beams in the model the hob will affect joins to these members, which once they get complicated can be a nightmare (which by the sounds of your OP is what you have already found) one solution here is the place the hob/upstand on another plan from the main floor structure, this will eliminate the secondary hob elements from affecting the main floor beams

Another solution is to use the railing tool, this works pretty well, and allows you to sketch any outline you want, however you end up with mitre lines at corners which may be not desired

For upstands walls are usually the easiest, the heights can be easily modified and you can easily slope the top if required

Hope that is of some help
        Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

Yeah, the slab/floor elements worked fine. I'm happier with them actually than having individual elements because I can draw all the hobs of the same height in the single floor sequence.
          I haven't had to do any upstands on this building, but will consider using walls Ben.

Comment