Parts Not Appearing On Template When Family Is Opened

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts Not Appearing On Template When Family Is Opened

First of all, I apologize for what will surely be a poorly worded explanation/question. I am the I.T. guy at a company in which one of our employees uses Revit. He's familiar with Revit but not terribly computer literate, I'm competent with computers but had never heard of Revit until last week.

From what he showed me, he opens a template and then opens/imports a family that he has created. According to him, the parts of the family should automatically appear on the template, ready to be moved into place, but this isn't happening. I was able to drag the parts from the listing on the left onto the template so that they could be used, so he is able to continue working, but he says it was much faster when they appeared automatically. (I gather that his experience is with older versions of Revit, so perhaps something has changed in 2012.)

Should these parts be automatically appearing on the template? If so, what would cause them to fail to do so? A friend of his, who is a Revit user, mentioned something about the possibility of a corrupt template, but apparently didn't elaborate on how to fix it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and if there is any other information needed to diagnose the problem, I'll do my best to obtain it.

Welcome to the forum...
    I personally have never heard of this automatic behaviour... Could you post some pictures or the family / template to look at?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Sam, welcome to the Forum.

It sounds to me like you are starting out from scratch.
      Welcome to hell....
      In all seriousness though, it sounds like your revit guy has done a basic introduction course, and was using "pre-set" templates. its likely that he has done a course, and the course provider will have templates already built to suit their teaching course.

When you first get revit out of the box, although it is set up so you can draw and operate pretty much raw right out of the box, there are loads of customizations that most companies do to set it up to their standards.

If you are unfamiliar with Revit and Office CAD standards, I would suggest your safest, best, easiest, and probably most economical way of getting set up is to hire a revit consultant to come in and set it up for your company. Actually your software provider SHOULD provide support for this.

If that option is off the table, then that leaves you to set it up yourself.
      Where to start?

You need to open a new project and open a revit template file.
      The template is basically the canvas you start all of your drawings from as the name would suggest.
      The template file will have view filters set up in it, title blocks to your company standard, any "items" that your company may use (these include your section tags, detail tags, view titles, member tags, 2D detail items such as blockwork for example, linetype settings, "families" which are essentially the 3D objects that you use to model, text styles....the list goes on and on)

I have set our company template up and in all honesty it probably took me a good week to get functioning, and I am reasonably able to manage revit. I would suggest to you though, that good revit managers are hard to find, and if you want to make yourself truly indespensible at your current work place (or future work places) that it would be well worth you asking to do some revit managing courses so as you CAN set up the current office, and you can also nab yourself a pay rise and secure your future in the process.

Managing Revit is alot more complex than just being able to set up the template. In fact I would suggest that for the template to function well you need to understand exactly what needs to go into the template, how to trouble shoot any families that you want to put in it, and how to customise some of the elements that you also put into it.

The way I learned was to look at someone else template, and reverse engineer it to suit my company, however I have a good understanding of Revit, and of what we need for our drafting standards, so without those few things under your belt its going to make life harder.

I wish I could give you a quick solution to this, but setting up these base templates is just a lengthy process and will require you to set up other things first before you can get the template rolling efficiently. Also be prepared to tweak the template as problems arise or people discover new things they want added.

basically whenever someone starts a project, they create their new project using the template file as their base, then begin drawing with "hopefully" everything they need already installed. In many cases though you still need to go fish the library for the families you need that are not inserted. I suggest in addition to your template files you have a well ordered library set up on your server so people can find the families, 2D items, labels etc they need as required.

If you are in Brisbane, and you need some more detailed help, I guess send me a private email and I can maybe help you out.
      If it's somewhere in Australia, I could chat to you on the phone...

Good luck....
      Karalon10
      Forum Addict
      Last edited by Karalon10; September 12, 2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Ah I should add, that the problem you have regarding "parts" of a family not showing is likely to be a setting in the "family" itself.
        In your revit screen down the bottom left of the screen, you will see (for each view you have opened) a detail level button, which you can set at course, medium, and fine.
        Some families are set up to only show certain parts of an object at fine detail level. This is another part of the total customisation I was talking about in the earlier response.
        To fix this, click on the 3D object that isnt showing properly, and click "edit family" which is an option that will come available only once you select the object.

In the object (family) editor, you can click the part that is not showing up when you see it in a plan/detail etc. and then adjust the "visibility settings" for that object. You can set it to show under either coarse/medium/fine detail level, depending on how you desire it to show. If it's simply a case of the view itself not showing it properly, then you can just adjust the detail level on that view and it should show up.

Comment

Welcome to hell is just the emotion i've been having the past few weeks.
          It';s just how you said. A basic course and poor support. They don't have an answer on half the tings i've been asking.
          With a lot of puzzeling, time and this Forum i can managed to set up a template. I am still far from ready but i'll will get there.

Now sins we are talking about family creation, i have a question.
          In our company we have created a family for the difference drawing frames.
          Now i want to control the thickness of the lines, creating thin and thick lines. I cannot get the dessired result.
          I choose thick line 0,7mm in the family, but in the template it is still a thin line 0,25mm. How can i set this right?

Thanks Greetz Bross.
          http://bross.webklik.nl/page/homepage
          www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Bross View Post
            Welcome to hell is just the emotion i've been having the past few weeks.
            It';s just how you said. A basic course and poor support. They don't have an answer on half the tings i've been asking.
            With a lot of puzzeling, time and this Forum i can managed to set up a template. I am still far from ready but i'll will get there.

Now sins we are talking about family creation, i have a question.
            In our company we have created a family for the difference drawing frames.
            Now i want to control the thickness of the lines, creating thin and thick lines. I cannot get the dessired result.
            I choose thick line 0,7mm in the family, but in the template it is still a thin line 0,25mm. How can i set this right?

Thanks Greetz Bross.
            First things first: I don't know if you already saw this. Guess you didn't cause that would make template building a whole lot easier.

About the line thickness: this is different from Autocad.
            The Line Thickness for a certain linetype in a Family is inhereted from the Project you're in if this already exists (For instance the case with the default "Thin Lines". You probably either manually adjusted the Line Weight table in the Family or the Project.
            Go in your Family to Manage > Object Style (for ojects) or Manage > Additional Settings > Line Styles (for Linework). Write down the code that is used for the Drawing Frame
            Now look in Manage > Additional Settings which line thickness is set for this code.
            Do the same in your project. I'm betting those values are different. You should always keep those the same...
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks a lot Martijn,

This will bring me closer to the exit from hell. I'm just kidding. I really like to learn.

Bross
              www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

There is no exit from hell, just access to the different layers, which vary in degrees of pain.

Also, the irony is that your Avatar image represents exactly the voyage through the layers of hell.
                And lastly, that your name "Bross" is very similar to the 80's boy band "Bros" who most certainly MUST BE minions of hell.

Comment

Karalon really lol.
                  My colleague thought i was going to die, i've lauft really hard.:laugh: Well what you dit not know is i also have red eyes and can spit fire. Certainly when you think you have a solution and than...... bammm a new problem appears. :banghead:
                  The avatar is from the game Portal, i like to game a lot. I'ts really about finding the exit with use of a portal gun. Sind i've manage to complete portal 1 and 2, i should be ok finding the exit in hell.
                  The name Bross is my first an last name squeezed together, (Bas Rossel). They start calling me Bross sind there was a link to the artist Bob Ross. The link was his and mine hair. The difference is that i never kept my hair like him for a long time. So nothing devilish in the creation of my name, certainly not in Bob Ross, every time he says good bye, he adds god bless to it.
                  Now i hope that i've cleared my evil state here.

Thanks for the replies and a good laugh. I'll go back to my work now.:coffee:

Greetz Bross.
                  Bross
                  Last edited by Bross; September 15, 2011, 07:41 AM.
                  www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

"certainly not in Bob Ross, every time he says good bye, he adds god bless to it."

Oh, next you'll be telling me that Oprah isn't Satan.

The greatest lie the devil ever told was convincing the world he didn't exist, or that he wasn't Oprah.

Comment