Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to create window with proper projection lines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to create window with proper projection lines?

Hi there,

I want to create a window family (wall based). This is not a problem for me.
    Its when i draw symbolic lines within the family that are visible in my plan-views.
    This is also possible, but i need to only see these line when a window is in a wall below the floor.
    The problem is, that wen i draw walls above floor with windows in it, and than hide the wall in view the symbolic lines
    are still visible.
    Is there a way that the symbolic lines and masking region are only visible when below floor?

Thanks,

Greetz Bross
    Attached Files
    Bross
    Last edited by Bross; August 30, 2011, 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed attachment
    http://bross.webklik.nl/page/homepage
    www.vanbragtbv.nl

would love to help out, but I can't view your attachment. Coujld you make it NOT to be inline-attachment?
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Hi Martijn,

I will trie to attach tomorrow, i have to go now. Thanks.

Bas.
      www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

Could you also post an image of how it SHOULD look like? (btw, I think one of the admins might already have changed the attachment)
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Hi there,

Hope this time the attachment will work and stil be readable.

Greetz Bross.
          Attached Files
          www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

solution

I just found the answer myself.
            You can build in a filter in the visual graffics override with a parameter.
            In the parameter you can set it on a window base family. Then you can set the parameter for different entities. for instance you can choose the type name, the length, with and other contents of a window family. The one i used was "level". This reads out the level at where a certain window is.
            When you got the level parameter selcted you can choose when the filter wil give the override. You can choose for "if at level", "if at or below level" and also for above level. The next thing is to choose the desired level you wish to see or don't see the window from.
            For instance, i'm looking at the second floor, only want to see the walls and windows that are below the second floor ( so windows in walls that are at the first floor).
            I wil set a filter with parameter window based. Choose in the parameter level, then i choose "if at or above". The last thing is to set the level, there for i choose the second floor. In the visual grafic override you uncheck visibility.
            Now all the windows that are at or above the second floor wil be hidden.

i hope with my english everything is still clear and understandable. (sorry if not).

Greetz Bross.

( i just realised i almost got my own private tread here ) :crazy:
            Bross
            Last edited by Bross; August 31, 2011, 08:03 PM.
            www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

I think what you are really looking for is called a Plan Region and it is applied in a view to alter where Revit "cuts" through the model. When windows are above or below the cutting plane is it necessary to add it so it understands where it should cut. At least that's what it sounds like you are after?

Comment

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your reaction. I've tried that. The problem then is, than i won't get to see the beams that are above windows to support the bricks. It will also give another problem, that in the plan region you cut the walls, and for the rest of the walls that are below the floor you see as a projection.
                then also another thing, i wil have to create plan regions all over, and each time i start a new project.
                The solution i've found i only have to set it right one time in my template, and it will work every time i'll start a new project.

Tanks again though, perhaps plan regions might help me out some other time.

Greetz Bross.
                www.vanbragtbv.nl

Comment

That's the nature of modeling and asking the computer to "cut" a plan view. We frequently make abstractions from "reality"...to draw a plan view. Revit is pretty literal. A plan view is a lousy way to explain what an elevation does easily. Sometimes we have to be willing to reconsider what our "normal" process is? It seems like having to customize the content to let you show a bunch of different graphical conditions is "as much work" perhaps as any other solution. As long as your comfortable, all the best!

Btw, they originally created the plan region (many years ago now) to address windows that varied in elevation so that we could pretend they are all at the same elevation, so they "look" like the others in the plan view. Hard to play with reality and have it work for every situation.
                  Steve_Stafford
                  Mr. Revit OpEd
                  Last edited by Steve_Stafford; September 1, 2011, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
                    Btw, they originally created the plan region (many years ago now) to address windows that varied in elevation so that we could pretend they are all at the same elevation, so they "look" like the others in the plan view.
                    "they" (as in Autodesk) were only doing what a great number of people still want to do in terms of drafting - and so I guess "they" (Autodesk) can be forgiven for obliging.

I for one never got taught the "idea" of plan-regions. I was taught
                    "a plan is, in truth, just another section - only one taken (typically) in the horizontal, across a given line, at a known height, cutting all that it intersects"
                    - and that to show anything above or below the "field of vision" that the cut would give was wrong.

Ever since that first lession I have always felt trying to squeeze everything into a single plan (typically to save on doing other drawings) would only ever limit the understanding of the building entire - no matter how good people say they are at reading orthogonal projections of something destined to make an appearance in the real world.

With Revit, (and other 3D modelling/documentation BIM tools) the desire to show more (than you can see) in plans, by keeping information dense, and limiting drawing counts, should now become a thing of the past with automatic elevation, section & RCP creation. Yes, there are times it's nice to have underlay functionality, view ranges to tweak and plan regions at hand, but I would echo Steve, (with a slight truncation)

Originally posted by Steve_Stafford View Post
                    we have to be willing to reconsider what our "normal" process is

Comment