Tapered Column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tapered Column

Would anyone be able to help me create a Tapered Column family that shows correctly in plan views? I have an existing pre-engineered metal building that I have to model where the columns go from 18" deep at the slab to 60" deep at the roof. I would like the plans to just simply show an "I-shape" column but I would like it to be 18" for the foundation plan and 60" for the roof plan. Right now, I'm getting extra lines due to the tapered shape. I was unable to get symbolic lines to work much better.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Ben Buergler
    Buergler Structural Design, PLLC

use a plan region with all the fields set with the same values as the cut plane. Set the cut plane at a calculated height so you can reach your needed aspect. I hope it works. Be sure to uncheck show precuted geometry in the columns family.

Comment

I dont know if this will help. It's one of the OOTB framing families. Try to dissect it reverse engineer it.

Switch for taper or no-taper. Uses the same types list as the OOTB.
      Attached Files
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Like Gaby said, open the family, uncheck the "Show family pre-cut in plan views", reload it, and make sure that your Cut Plane in View Range is set properly, or use Plan Regions (Also as suggested by Gaby)
        Klaus Munkholm
        "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Gaby & Munkholm
          Thanks for your suggestion. Your suggestion works for the Foundation Plan. However on the roof plan, adjusting the view ranges/cut planes for the roof plan or for Plan Regions do not eliminate the projection lines that are showing. Maybe it's something I did wrong in the Family. I've attached the column family with "Show family pre-cut in view plans" turned off.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by trapperb; August 16, 2011, 01:27 PM.
          Ben Buergler

Comment

Alex,
            The issue I have is with the projection lines of the flange for a I-shape member. A tapered WT doesn't have this problem. On a WT, the web is the only thing tapered, and the cut lines of the web hide any projection lines that might otherwise show.
            Ben Buergler

Comment

My misunderstanding.
              -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by trapperb View Post
                Gaby & Munkholm
                Thanks for your suggestion. Your suggestion works for the Foundation Plan. However on the roof plan, adjusting the view ranges/cut planes for the roof plan or for Plan Regions do not eliminate the projection lines that are showing. Maybe it's something I did wrong in the Family. I've attached the column family with "Show family pre-cut in view plans" turned off.
                Hmmm.... Don´t have any instant solution to that - Will look into it when I have better time, unless someone else beats me to it?
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

I assumed you were going for a coarse level of detail representation, although what is outlined can work for medium/fine. I modified the family to add a subcategory for the top and bottom representation. From there I modified the visibility settings to only display the 3d geometry in fine and medium level of detail. I added symbolic lines for the top and bottom using appropriate line types. Then loaded the family and modified lower level to turn off in VG the top representation and in the top level, turned off the bottom representation from the subcategory created (under Structural Columns).

Take a look at this sample project to dissect further how this could work. Hope it helps.
                  Attached Files

Comment