Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to create a model with a repetitive customized truss

Hi everybody,

I’m becoming desperate and need some help. I’m trying to model a long workshop which is formed by a succession of 2D Frames in Revit Structure. There are around 60 instances of the same frame. I would like to know how it would be the best way to do this because I’m not sure. What I did at first was creating one truss with beams and columns elements directly into the project and then I made a matrix copy to get the 60 instances. I think this made the file to be very heavy and uncomfortable…

After that, I tried to do this with families. The first problem I found was that the truss family template wasn’t useful for me since my truss has different cross sections for the vertical and diagonal webs. Due to this, I tried with the “Structural Framing - Beams and Braces” and “Structural Framing - Complex and Trusses” templates and sweep objects but I cannot see the analytical model once the family is imported to the project.

It would be great if someone could tell me the best way or the steps I shall follow to do this…

I’m sorry for my bad English and thank you in advance.

If you are able to make the truss using a beam family you can place a lot of them quickly using a beam system. From my (limited) experience they are pretty light and easy to work with compared to an array. If you do array your truss I read somewhere that it is better to group the truss, then array it rather than letting the array make the group.

The truss families can be complicated at first but with a little practice they aren't bad. I say this as an architect that knows next to nothing about them. You can change the framing of the chords and webs in the type properties. 2013-06-21_0905 - cellophane's library
    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Cellophane is correct about the ease of making trusses after a bit. I would like to suggest one thing though, you can change individual web diagonal and vertical elements of the beams by selecting them in a section or 3d view and change them to be what you want. It would suck if you're engineer needed to change those elements later, but at least they'll be correct.
      Adam Hutchinson
      Engineer in Training
      Integrus Architecture, P.S.

Comment

Originally posted by AHutchinson View Post
        Cellophane is correct about the ease of making trusses after a bit. I would like to suggest one thing though, you can change individual web diagonal and vertical elements of the beams by selecting them in a section or 3d view and change them to be what you want. It would suck if you're engineer needed to change those elements later, but at least they'll be correct.
        Thank you two for these answers! I didn't know it is possible to change each cross section independently. This is enough for me at the moment.

Thank you very much for your help.

Comment