Existing Conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing Conditions?

Anyone have any good advice as to the best way to acquire and input existing MEP conditions into Revit?

The easiest way would be point clouds.
    It all depends on the existing format.
    If you are to model the existing conditions than you'll need to field verify exact placement, otherwise what is the purpose of coordination.
    "Keeping my view range hopeful"

Comment

We just went through a project with extensive field verification and good old fashioned measurements... What a pain the the you know what that was... We have started to look into laser scanning for our next project and figured that would be the way to go.

Comment

Can't you now form a point cloud from images?

Comment

I like the sound of that, is it true?

Comment

Yes, its true. You can form a point cloud from images stitched together, and add ins for Revit can also interpolate Revit objects directly from the point cloud. The shortfall of it all? The level of accuracy.

The tools that stitch pictures together to make Point clouds are pretty good, but they have limitations, fall short in repetitive environments, and dont build a point cloud to the level of accuracy of a point cloud.

Same thing with tools that model automatically from the PC's. They "average" point locations, "approximate" where walls go, and so on and so forth. Its decent, but it turns out to not be faster. My advice? Model it from traditional as-builts, laser scan it, import the PC, and compare for redundancy.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment