"Cleaning" Arch links...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Cleaning" Arch links...

I have a project I'm currently working on that has 10 Revit "links" that have been sent from the architect. These links all create one site when linked together. Each of these files (if not all) are overlayed/linked into the other files from the architect. My question - do I need to detach the links in each of the models if I will be pulling that same model into my MEP model? It just seems like if I don't I'm going to have duplicates/multiples of each due to the overlays. My thought is to detach the links that would be duplicated in each of the files and only leave the overlays that have not been sent. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kcaparella

When I receive a model from a consultant I open the model (detach from Central), clear out all links (DWG and Revit), purge, then save as a separate file name (In case they rename the project file somewhere along the way my visibility settings wont freak out).

Unless they are sending you multiple models and they need to be linked in I would go ahead and clear them out.
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Thanks for the response MPwuzhere.

Yes, they are sending us multiple models.
      We have all of the "pieces to the puzzle" and each "piece" has links to all of the other "pieces in it" (to "complete the puzzle" in each file).
      My thought is that if those links are not removed, then the schedules will have duplicate instances if I were to "include links in schedule" (one for each nested link if I were to link all of these models together to create my MEP model).

I have gone through and removed all of the links in the model and so far so good *fingers crossed* but -
      What makes you say "unless they are sending you multiple models..."?

Comment

Originally posted by kcaparella View Post
        What makes you say "unless they are sending you multiple models..."?
        Meant if they have them set to be linked in their model instead of overlay...but that is where shared coordinates comes in handy. That way you don't have to demand load all those linked files.
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

I wouldnt open their models, at all, ever, unless you discover that their links are set to Attachment. Youll know, if you see redundant buildings (meaning you see links in links). Otherwise: I wouldnt clean them, wouldnt purge them, wouldnt audit them, wouldnt detach them, wouldnt do a gosh darn thing. Download them, stick them in the directory, Link and go.

IF they have them set to Attachment, i would even ask them to change it before sending, so you dont have to do it every week. No reason to be in their files at all. Been doing it this way for years with nary a problem.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
            I wouldnt open their models, at all, ever, unless you discover that their links are set to Attachment. Youll know, if you see redundant buildings (meaning you see links in links). Otherwise: I wouldnt clean them, wouldnt purge them, wouldnt audit them, wouldnt detach them, wouldnt do a gosh darn thing. Download them, stick them in the directory, Link and go.

IF they have them set to Attachment, i would even ask them to change it before sending, so you dont have to do it every week. No reason to be in their files at all. Been doing it this way for years with nary a problem.
            I am sure the consultants you work with are scared stiff of giving you anything less than perfect. :P
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post

I've tried in the past not to touch the files (a habit from the CAD days) but have found that if they are not purged and audited I will have processing issues down the line. And why wouldn't you detach the file from central? If you don't then everytime you open the file you'd have a pop up for each link (10 in my case) and that just seems like a PITA. Not to mention that I'm pretty sure you aren't able to manipulate a linked central as much as a local copy of the same... could be wrong tho - it wouldn't be the first time?

... I even just attempted to do as you said and not touch the files - just link and go - and as I suspected my computer is dragging rear. Also, when I compile a door schedule I am getting multiple instances (10 for each type) because each linked model has links in it to every other linked model we were sent (so as to "complete the puzzle" in each).

I also have the file set up the other way - whereas each "piece" has been detatched from central, audited, purged, and stripped of links - and this one BOOGIES compared to the other.

... Maybe I'm a stickler for processing speed? But waiting 15 seconds between every mouse click is intolerable for me lol

Thanks for the input!
              -Kcaparella

Comment

Try turning off Hardware Acceleration in the Options.
                -Alex Cunningham

Comment

You didnt read all of what i said.

I wouldnt open their models at all UNLESS i noticed they were set to Attachment (meaning youre getting redundant elements in schedules). In that case, i would ask THEM to change it before they sent me the models.

OF COURSE your file is dragging behind. Them being set to Attachment means that you have those links opened... ten times over. Thats ten times more model to deal with. ***IF*** you get the consultant to switch those links to Overlay before sending it to you, itll perform just like the version you have. Purging and Auditing have a negligable difference. I assure you.

And central / local doesnt mean squat, because you arent opening/editing the file, you are linking it. Links dont care if they are centrals, locals, detached, workshared, anything. They are just dead links.

You are correct, that its harder to EDIT them if theyre not detached, but i hold steady that you have ZERO reason or need to GO IN TO a consultants file. You can get them, link them, use them efficiently, and be productive without ever having to go in to their file once. Been doing it for years. Even back in the 32 bit Windows XP days, when i had 480,000 SF worth of linked files, 14 links in all. Never had to open the consultants models.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                    Try turning off Hardware Acceleration in the Options.
                    This helped a lot thanks!

Comment