Existing Electrical Loads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Existing Electrical Loads

I am doing an electrical design project on an existing building.
    Does anybody have a good strategy for assigning/estimating the existing electrical loads?
    Is there anyway to do some sort of hybrid panel schedule that will accept manual input and modeled loads?

I usually use a dummy dot, which is an electrical device family I've created that has no 3d components, just a model line circle with a power connector. The power connector can be designed as desired (type or instance based parameters). My load value is usually a type parameter. Then, I add the dots to the project in one location that is easy to find/remember. After loading in the family, I create several types to represent existing loads (i.e. lighting circuits, receptacles, mech. equip, etc...). The loads, poles, and voltage information are also type parameters, so they are modified as needed. I then add these devices to my existing panel and name the load in all lower-case letters to denote them as existing (we use all caps for new loads). Obviously, I don't wire these dummy circuits, just give them a panel so the loads show up. Once the dot is powered, I hide it in the view. Now I've got an existing, modifiable load in my panel with no extra devices showing up. I know this isn't that elegant a solution, but it works for me.

As far as estimating loads, I usually just google the device I'm mimicking to find an approximation for the load (i.e. an ice maker, light fixture, refrigerator, etc...). You should be able to find the existing load on the existing plans if you have access to them. If not, estimating is about all you can do.

Comment