Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using/developing another companys stage 3 MEP model into stage 4 by us

Hi all,

I assume this would have been discussed before but Ive done a bit of searching around and couldnt find a discussion on this so im hoping someone can help. (sorry i'm pretty new to posting on this forum, but been an 'on and off lurker' here for some time)

We have been given another companys Stage 3 (concept design) MEP revit model, and have been appointed to progress it to stage 4 (detailed design). Whats the general consensus and workflow procedure on using or developing someone elses model/design?

Do you;

Link their model to yours and trace/remodel the bits you want to keep?
    or
    use their model directly (and risk using some of their families) and then add your own families for the new designs and changes?
    or;
    is there a better way to import and use certain parts so you dont have to redo all of it but still dont have the risk of ending up with someone elses families and possibly inheriting their models quirks?

Thanks for your help.

The answer is totally subjective and dependent on the content.

I might approach it in the manner. Try to use the model. Since it is early in design, take a thorough look at the model and if you see any issues, it might be prudent to just start over as there are more than likely going to be more issues.

Comment

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I thought but just wondered what the general consensus was.

My only thoughts were what the contractors would do with our model once we've completed the detailed design. Will they then scrap our model and do their own too?

Surely the concept of BIM is that we are supposed to continue on progress the designs at each stages even if the previous stages were not done by yourself.

Comment

Do you want to talk real world or ideal world?

Anyone that receives your model is likely to go through the same vetting process. Making a model that is usable for people down the line entails coordination with the receiver(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Doughnutman View Post
          Surely the concept of BIM is that we are supposed to continue on progress the designs at each stages even if the previous stages were not done by yourself.
          Says who?

Anyone that just *uses* a model they 'inherit' without doing some EXTREME due diligence, is a fool.

Me personally, i wouldnt ever work in a model i got from someone else. It would go through a reconciliation process getting rebuilt in OUR environment.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Just the hassle of getting line weights to work together with 'their' content and 'mine' sucks for sure and that is not to mention that their mistakes suddenly become yours.
            No thank you.

Sure I tried in the past, still working for a boss and very new to Revit and still brainwashed by the 'we will never have to redo stuff again between stages and parties'
            Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
            Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Thanks. Thats pretty much what I thought but just wondered what the general consensus was.
              That is not the general consensus, FYI. When it comes to a Revit project model, any team worth their salt has a template that works for them and is set up exactly how they need it, and hoping in someone else's model and running with it will produce bad results in accessibility and efficiency. A direct example is my team: our template is very robust and set up very well and if any of our team members ever hop in another Revit project file and run with it would be lost... like REALLY lost, so bad that they wouldn't know what to do. As weird as it sounds, that's kind of how you want it.

My only thoughts were what the contractors would do with our model once we've completed the detailed design. Will they then scrap our model and do their own too?
              We're a very high level Revit team that does shop drawings and detailing of MEP designs for contractors. We always link in the design model and Halftone everything, which helps but is not holy grail. We still always refer to the PDF set of contract drawings as our basis. We always remodel from scratch. Not only is it actually faster, it allows us to run through the process of truly coordinating the project like we're paid to do and we catch errors, omissions and other cost-saving layouts.

Linking the original MEP design file does help but only for things like pipe/duct sizes that aren't tagged on the contract drawings, or air diffuser placements. Other than that, we usually get an old version of the design by the time we're on the job, or there's addendums added later without a model distributed so the link rarely actually helps us overall.

-TZ
              Tannar Z. Frampton ™
              Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

I think tzframpton has said it best.

Do not use any of the content in the received model. Use the PDFs as your first line of reference and only the 3D where the PDFs let you down. In our experience, other people's version of 'BIM' is an absolute joke.

The only other thing which I have found works somewhat well - though you could definitely have a discussion as to whether or not it actually saves time (we haven't yet), is thus:

Once you have the Received model linked into your own project, may I suggest doing a 'copy/monitor' Copy of all of the line based families (that's pipework, ductwork, cable tray and conduit) into your own model. At this point - convert them all into your own families which can be done fairly quickly. You then want to delete all of the families you have just brought in (if you can't do this, you likely haven't changed them all over to yours). This may cause breaks which you will need to look at. The only thing you could argue this saves is having to model all the different runs however you will still need to make sure all of it is coordinated.

I would love to have a discussion about this idea if anyone wants to chip in! Not wedded to it at all, it just seemed like it might be quicker so we've done it a few times.

Cheers,

Chasm

Comment

Originally posted by ChasmFlame View Post
                  In our experience, other people's version of 'BIM' is an absolute joke.
                  Wow. I'd hate to live in your world. That little box of yours must feel pretty small at times.

Comment

Originally posted by ChasmFlame View Post
                    In our experience, other people's version of 'BIM' is an absolute joke.
                    Originally posted by RobDraw View Post
                    Wow. I'd hate to live in your world. That little box of yours must feel pretty small at times.
                    I'm in a similar position. It sucks :banghead:
                    Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                    BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment