Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Approaching electrical design for large apartment with Unit Groups from architect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Approaching electrical design for large apartment with Unit Groups from architect?

This is a design/engineering project. We're embarking on a project that is a large apartment building and the architect as a separate Revit model for their Units, which will be linked in to their main Central model of the building. Typical scenario where the bottom couple of floors is lobby and retail space, then a few levels of parking garage with units, then an amenity deck and rest of the way up is all units.

We want to utilize as much of the Revit electrical engineering tools to build our panel schedules but this could be interesting with how everything is split up. We could just do all the work all the way up from floor to roof, but wanted to see if there was a way to have typical panel schedules for certain floors/units if there are any experienced electrical Revit designers in here. At the end of the day we're trying to deter going with manual Panel Schedules and importing them in.

We're hired to assist the engineering team on this project and while we know which route we're wanting to take, hoping to get some feedback so I can hear of any "gotchas" that I'm not considering. Thanks in advance!

-TZ
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Hey,

I wouldn't call myself an experienced electrical designer by any means. But i'd do one condo for each type (i assume there are few different apartment arrangements) as a template and then copy / paste the fixtures through each floor (paste -> align to selected level). The issue is that you then have to connect all consumers to the distribution boards on each level (when you copy the system, connections don't follow through, unfortunately). But at least you spare time placing all fixtures all over again for each floor.

I'd do one schedule template for each cabinet type (main DB, sub DB etc), apply those to appropriate DBs and in the end connect distribution boards.

You then have the exact number of circuit breakers for each cabinet, so you can do an electrical design (if you're going to do this as well).

Quick tip for electrical panel schedules; you can add a shared parameter now to the schedule in R2022. I believe this was not possible prior.
    So you can add a descriptive parameter in there for each circuit. Maybe number of consumers connected to it, room name or whatever you think you need for that circuit.

You just need to check "Electrical citcuits" under Project parameters list.
    You can then also edit parameter data from the schedule and it'll push the information to the model. Neat.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ryan Razer; September 27, 2021, 11:57 AM.

Comment