different conduit colors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

different conduit colors

just curious if you guys set different colors for conduits used in the project, like conduits for power, communication, etc.

it can be done in Revit for sure, but it'll create management headache, i mean VG / Filters are view specific, besides, create extra conduit type just for coloring purpose is not a good idea.

any workaround for globally applying colors to "different" conduits w/o too much overhead?

Nope, you pretty much summed it up there. Best to use Filters (embedded in View Templates) or different types of conduits (not so good)
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

thanks Martijn, i'll go ahead w/ filters.

Comment

Originally posted by Ning Zhou View Post
        just curious if you guys set different colors for conduits used in the project, like conduits for power, communication, etc.

it can be done in Revit for sure, but it'll create management headache, i mean VG / Filters are view specific, besides, create extra conduit type just for coloring purpose is not a good idea.

any workaround for globally applying colors to "different" conduits w/o too much overhead?

You could also change the 'Object Styles', under Manage. Under the Conduits Category > change 'Line Colour' to whatever colour you want. Keep in mind that V/G will over ride this, so remove any filters you have for the Conduits first, then change the Object styles.

Comment

object style is global for specific category, not what i wanted.
          Last edited by Ning Zhou; October 20, 2011, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. So yeah as mdradvies suggested, creating a V/G template is the best solution. You can then highlight all 'View Disciplines' on the Project Browser and View>View Templates>Apply Template to Current view, all at the same time to avoid the "headache" of having to repeat yourself.

Hope that helps in some way. :P

Comment

Color for Conduits

Hi Ning Zhou,

I have one better idea for this sort of Problems. I hope this will work for you

Thanks,
              Ram G.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice method itsramg!
                Only needs one filter per colour for all categories and means colours are standardised in all views (Usually everyone uses something different).
                I will try this
                "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

good idea itsramg! thanks, well, except the followings:
                  1) using workset for VG control is not very appropriate even though it can apply to all categories and views, besides, not easy to enforce workset rule (element in correct workset) unless i point a gun to the user
                  2) API or scripting may be the only solution as you mentioned in pdf, but "Include" seems not yet accessible in current API, see
                  view template "include" - Autodesk Community

Comment

Originally posted by Ning Zhou View Post
                    not easy to enforce workset rule unless i point a gun to the user
                    Yeah I have given up trying to get people to work in the right workset too, I just make one to enable worksharing... and I still find stuff in the Shared Levels and Grids workset. Is it so hard to understand?
                    I think a pop up menu when a project is opened that asks "Which workset do you need?" so the user must make a deliberate choice would help. Maybe it can be done with a macro.
                    Last edited by josephpeel; December 1, 2014, 09:13 AM.
                    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment