Copying Elements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying Elements

Okay this might sound like a stupid question, but I am really lost here. I have a architectural drawings that has all my plumbing fixtures on it. The GC just wants a model with the plumbing pipes and plumbing fixtures. So I am having to combine the drawings. I have all the piping by itself, but every time I try to copy the fixtures over I am getting an error that says elements are going to be deleted. I think I have tried everything, but I am sure there has to be away to d it. I am using 2009. Any help would be great thanks guys.

Is it possible that you have some fixtures that are face-based? If you copy those without the hosts it could get messy.
    Otherwise: try to save the model under a different name, go to 3D, hide all categories you wish to keep and delete everything else.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I went and looked and they are face-based. Actually they are attached directly to a wall in the family. I think that wall might be the issue. So the next question is, every time I try and delete the wall it will not let me. Is there away to delete or remove the wall from the family? I cant seem to get that either.

Comment

I believe that the wall isn't the issue. In the family it is just there so that you can build the family properly.
        But given that it is a family that is wall based, when you copy it, it will delete it if it doesn't find a host that aligns perfectly with it.
        Juan Carlos Moreno
        Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
        Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

So your saying copy it while in editing it?

Comment

Originally posted by cwwalder View Post
            So your saying copy it while in editing it?
            no, i was just letting you know why it is not copying as expected.

Question: Is it all in one model or two?

If the answer is one, then you can use a the visibility graphics list to uncheck(hide) all the categories that you don't want to show.

If the answer is two, the you could link one of the files into the other and then use method above

if the answer is other, please provide a little more detail as to how you have the files set up to better understand the issue

hth
            Juan Carlos Moreno
            Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
            Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

I went and looked and they are face-based. Actually they are attached directly to a wall in the family. I think that wall might be the issue. So the next question is, every time I try and delete the wall it will not let me. Is there away to delete or remove the wall from the family? I cant seem to get that either.
              So this is not a face-baced family, this is a wall based family then. What elements are being deleted? If you do a copy and paste and those elements have dimensions or tags attached to them, those can get deleted. Also, since it is a wall-based family you should do these one at a time. Like JCM is asking...is this all in one project or in two?

Comment

I think you need a little clarification on this subject:

A Revit Model Element Family always has a base on which it's projected (not talking about System, Annotation or Detail Families, just the 3D object families you store in your library, otherwise this would be a VERY long thread). You need this to prevent it from floating around somewhere. There are a few levels in this connection:
                1. "Normal" Families like Generic Model. These Families can relate to just about anything: levels, refplanes, workplanes, but also the face of another object in your project.
                2. Face-based Families. These will only relate to faces of other objects in your project, BUT have no specific categories they refer to.
                3. X-based Families, X being Wall-, Floor-, Roof-, Ceiling. These Families will only relate/attach to the specified sort of face. A Wall-based Family, like your fixtures, will ONLY exist in your project when attached to a Wall.

When you try to copy this somewhere WITHOUT copying the Wall it will generate an error. On re-insert Revit looks for a Wall, doesn't find it, and therefor cannot place the Family... Are you with me so far?

As for your question about the Family Editor: the Wall you see here is only there for reference. As it being a Wall Based Family, the Revit developers once thought it would be clarifying to add a Wall in the Family Editor. So you will know it's a Wall Based Family and you can use this dummy wall for reference. For example when you need to give an offset dimension. This dummy wall will NOT be placed in your Project when you insert the Family.

In your OP you stated that you have a project file with all Architectural drawings and you placed your Plumbing here. So, I'm guessing you're not already working with multiple files. Alle elements are in one file, am I correct?

You also stated the GC wants a file without the Architectural stuff in it. So, I'm guessing he wants the actual revitfile. If he wants this with PF alone, tell him this can't be done. You need to at least copy the walls too (and, to be usable Floors, Levels and Grids.
                There would be two ways to do this:

1. quick and dirty as described above. Copy the project rvt-file, rename and simply cast aside all categories you don't need. This will leave no relationship between the two files which could cause problems later on. But it will do as a one-time solution.
                2. Create a Copy/Monitor file. To do this you go through these steps:
                a. Close the project.
                b. Create a new empty project file
                c. Open the original file, go to Manage Purge Unused and Purge all. After this go back to the new project, go to Manage > Transfer Project Standards and transfer Wall, Floor Column, Level and Grid Types from the original project to the new project. Close the original project.
                c. Link the original Project (Insert > Link RVT). Check in your Elevation views that the File is inserted at the correct height. If not, align/move.
                d. Return to the default 3D view. If everything went well, you should see the entire original model as one block that you cannot edit. Type VG to go to the Visibility Graphics, and check off all but Walls, Roofs, Floors. These are the categories the GC will defenitely need. If done correct you should only see these in your 3D Model. You might want to filter more by hiding interior walls that you don't want copied but for starters, I would suggest to go with this.
                e. Collaborate Tab > Copy/Monitor > Use Linked File. Select the file you just linked.
                f. In the new panel that appears, check Options, go to the Wall Tab and make sure that every wall type is the same left and right. Do the same for Floor and Column Types, Levels and Grids (that's why you needed to transfer project standards).
                g. Then go to Copy, check Multiple in the Options Bar and select all by dragging a window across your screen. Then click Finish.
                g. You'll see the walls appear in your model. They are editable now. You'll also notice a little sign like a heartbeat signal. This means they are monitored and any change in the original model will affect this model.

Here comes the really cool part: since these two models have exactly the same walls, in the same place, you can go back to the original model, select al Plumbing Fixtures and press Control-x (cut to clipboard). Then go to the new project file, Modify Tab > Paste from Clipboard > Aligned to same place.

Now you have your plumbing fixtures in a separate model with all walls and floors and stuff which will respond to changes in the original model. Also, you can edit the PF here. If you need to Copy Grids and Levels, do it the same way.
                Martijn de Riet
                Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                MdR Advies
                Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

When you copy a floor base component between two projects, does it also copy the original floor it was hosted too?

Comment