Waste/Vent System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waste/Vent System

I am having difficulty in getting Revit to leave my system type set. When I attach a Vent it is changing to Waste. If I disconnect it and change it it is changing all of my Waste and to Vent. Is it worth fixing or should I just do two different pipe types and have one vent and one waste and not worry so much about the system it is setting? I am a mechanical contractor and we are the only ones who will be using the model, it is a model that I created since the Engineering Firm didn't model it in Revit.

I never connect systems together. Waste/vent and HW/HWR are the worst. Just Make the piping close together and use caps if your having trouble getting your up symbols to work properly. You could make a mechanical family that shouldn't transfer the system back and forth but I've never bothered to try it.
    Cody Rapai
    Democracy At Work
    I know too much about Revit to call myself an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by CRapai View Post
      I never connect systems together. Waste/vent and HW/HWR are the worst. Just Make the piping close together and use caps if your having trouble getting your up symbols to work properly. You could make a mechanical family that shouldn't transfer the system back and forth but I've never bothered to try it.
      I do not have them connected, which is what makes this so weird.

Comment

Originally posted by mhoard View Post
        I do not have them connected, which is what makes this so weird.

What do you mean by attach? It sounded like you were connecting vent to the waste.
        Cody Rapai
        Democracy At Work
        I know too much about Revit to call myself an expert.

Comment

Originally posted by CRapai View Post
          What do you mean by attach? It sounded like you were connecting vent to the waste.
          I was drawing them and having them connected through a fitting but noticed it starting to mess up what system it was setting. I disconnected them to try and change it to the correct system and it was changing all of my waste to vent or vent to waste. I ended up deleting the vent pipe and redoing it so and am not going to connect it this time like you said to do.

Comment

Thing to do is let the fitting be placed first... such as a tee, wye, reducer or something like that. Delete the extra pipe from the fitting branch. Now run new pipe with the new system back to the tee/wye/reducer (whatever fitting you have in place) and it'll connect fine without absorbing the current system.

-TZ
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™
            Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
              Thing to do is let the fitting be placed first... such as a tee, wye, reducer or something like that. Delete the extra pipe from the fitting branch. Now run new pipe with the new system back to the tee/wye/reducer (whatever fitting you have in place) and it'll connect fine without absorbing the current system.

-TZ
              I thought that was how I was doing it when I was connecting the two different systems. For our needs I don't know if I actually need to have them physically connected anyway.

Comment

I disconnected them to try and change it to the correct system and it was changing all of my waste to vent or vent to waste.
                Watch out for the 'Divide System' icon in the toolbar..
                This terrible 'feature' was added in R2017 I believe. Revit used to always create a new system whenever something was disconnected (How it should be in IMHO) but enough people complained that it kept changing the System Name (Hint.. dont use the auto generated System Name parameter, group things by System Type..). Now whenever you disconnect two pipe networks they remain in the same system and you need to select the system then click the 'Divide Systems' button to make two separate systems manualy.

Thanks Autodesk for creating more work and chances for errors and confusion!
                Attached Files
                "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
                  Watch out for the 'Divide System' icon in the toolbar..
                  This terrible 'feature' was added in R2017 I believe. Revit used to always create a new system whenever something was disconnected (How it should be in IMHO) but enough people complained that it kept changing the System Name (Hint.. dont use the auto generated System Name parameter, group things by System Type..). Now whenever you disconnect two pipe networks they remain in the same system and you need to select the system then click the 'Divide Systems' button to make two separate systems manualy.

Thanks Autodesk for creating more work and chances for errors and confusion!
                  I actually didn't know about that feature at all. I am mostly still using R16 and moving new projects to R17. My part of the country is behind the times when it comes to construction technology. We might still be the only Mechanical Contractor in the state using Revit.

Comment

I actually didn't know about that feature at all. I am mostly still using R16 and moving new projects to R17. My part of the country is behind the times when it comes to construction technology. We might still be the only Mechanical Contractor in the state using Revit.
                    If you're a contractor then I highly recommend jumping into Revit 2018.3 or 2019 and utilizing Fabrication Parts. For plumbing contractors using Revit it's a game changer.

-TZ
                    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
                    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment