Project Browser Pipe and Duct Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Browser Pipe and Duct Systems

Is there a way to remove certain pipe/duct systems out of the Project Browser that are not being used in the project (ie. Fire Protection pipe out of the pipe systems family). I only ask because we are a plumbing piping and sheet metal contractor and will never draw in fire protection. Also we are creating templates for the three different trades due to the mass sheets that are created by the piping side for spooling purposes for our shop. So the Sheet Metal sides template would have not need to have any piping system family's in it and would make it cleaner and easier to look through if not there. Trying to set up a template for our office and we are newer to the Revit side of things and learning as we go.

to my knowledge, some system families are not removable from Revit.
    You`ll see a window popping up saying "The last system type for each system classification cannot be deleted."
    If there is way I would like to know either.
    If I watch...I dream, if I listen...I think, if I do ...I learn.
    blog

Comment

Yea that was the box I was getting. Im just trying to figure out a way to remove them to clean the project browser up due to big enough already without unused types and systems.

Comment

There is no way to remove them, and it is not really in the ideology of Revit to remove them. The ideology of Revit is more along the lines of having all of your office's components and standards in one central template that you could more easily manage and allow for the coordination between all of your elements. As certain items, like the base piping systems or having one pipe type/duct type/wall, are necessary to maintain the correct functionalities of Revit, you need to have at least one of that type and are thus prevented from deleting anything that would break the program. I don't really see having other family categories as an issue as they all collapse down to the category level. Assumedly the people using your setup would know that what they need to do their stuff only lives in the duct or pipe categories and that they are not to touch/don't need to look at any of the other categories.

However, why is it necessary to break up your template into three different ones? Presumably your documentation/presentation standards are the same across all your disciplines. Arguably you would benefit more from being able to centrally manage those (as well as updating your family libraries) through one template over having "slightly" different templates with only the loaded families differing. Also, I think you will find that most of the interaction with/selection of the loaded families happens through the individual commands (e.g. create pipe, create pipe fitting, create pipe accessory, etc.) rather than looking through the project browser. That each of the family categories (ducts, pipes, walls, etc.) collapses down to the category level, and that you can't create additional sub levels (outside of family types), makes it not really matter that there are extraneous categories in the project browser, in my opinion. Again, the project browser will not be the primary point of interaction for searching for and placing families.

You may want to look into plugin applications that extend the functionality/searchability of your company's library so that you don't have to load in all of your families into your template. Instead users can just look through the families and load then into the project as needed. I hear that the kiwicodes family browser is good, but I have never used it myself. Although, if you are using the fabrication tools I don't know how those work specifically, nor if needing a special library/family browser is necessary or compatible with a library plugin.

Comment

My idea was to have one template but the SM side wants there own so that they can have there sheets all loaded pre job so to not have to load them every job. Its the SM vs PPNG arguments ones better than the other. The plumbing and piping template are the same so in other words there will be two templates for our company not three. We are just jumping into revit and learning and trying to make it as easy as possible for others in company to transition from Auto CAD to Revit by having template set up so they can jump in and get started.

Comment

I have been working on what you are trying to do for the last year. I would say try to get them to change and do one template. You are moving to a new system so thing will look a little different anyway. The plumbing and sheet metal sides here have been happy with the changes I have made with a new template. I am always talking to them though and making changes were we see fit.

Comment