Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Processor or video card for Revit MEP

Dear Revitforum team,
    I need your suggestion. When I buy computer to use revit MEP (not rendering). Which one is more important to accomplish better result on revit MEP workflow, processor or graphic (video) card?
    Thanks.

Unfortunately you need both, High speed low core processor (Revit dose not use multi-core apart from rendering) & a Good graphics card are essential, there has been many posts about what card is best & from what Ive read a high end gaming card which is cheaper is just as good as a workstaion card like a Quadro.

Also dont underestimate your RAM absolute bare minimum is 16G but personal I would not recommend getting less than 32G

Comment

Dear Chris,

Many thanks for detailed information. Can you please advice me specific processor. There are a lot type of processor with variety of prices. Do I need XEON processor or can you advice me cheaper but useful one? My aim is to buy notebook by the way.

Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by Chris.kershaw View Post
      Unfortunately you need both, High speed low core processor (Revit dose not use multi-core apart from rendering) & a Good graphics card are essential, there has been many posts about what card is best & from what Ive read a high end gaming card which is cheaper is just as good as a workstaion card like a Quadro.

Also dont underestimate your RAM absolute bare minimum is 16G but personal I would not recommend getting less than 32G

Comment

I dont think you will notice much difference with a i7 or a Xeon at the same speed but Ive never used other manufacturers so cant help on AMD's

Comment

start here:
          https://www.revitforum.org/hardware-infrastructure/

and it will lead you to these:
          https://www.revitforum.org/hardware-...dware-cpu.html

https://www.revitforum.org/hardware-...hic-cards.html

There are a ton of threads on the laptop use case as well......if you dont 100% need one go with a tower and get a true i7/i9 desktop process

I think a majority of members will agree that those few times you do need to work remotely you can just remote into your machine and it makes file management much easier (assuming you are working out of an office with a local server)

Don't get hung up on the fact that you are using MEP, so many architects model in place way to much and abuse groups that it all blends into a fairly level playing field as far as performance goes in my opionon. (yes MEP is just as bad with downloaded content and dwg imports)
          You can also shutoff some of the background processes on the MEP side if you are not using them (calcs for example)
          William Fletcher
          IPD Engineering
          Linkedin

Comment