Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking CAD with AEC objects into Revit

Hey everyone,
    I am having troubles linking an MEP CAD model into Revit. It links in ok BUT half the elements drop 200'-300' where others stay put (Half the items hover over the Revit model and half are below it.) The MEP CAD model is full of AEC objects and the AECs are what floats above the model.
    Questions:
    -Is there something I need to do prior to linking the CAD into Revit to prevent the AEC objects from floating above the project while everything else is below?
    -Using theexporttoautocad command, what intelligence is lost from the AEC objects?
    -Is there a better method I am unaware of?

Saving the file with the AutoCAD variable Proxygraphics=1 (on) is necessary for the symbol information associated with the AEC elements to be visible in Revit. If you're seeing them then that's probably been done. Have you examined the elements in AutoCAD? Are they actually at these different elevations? I have run into many civil files, for example, where contours and other elements have their start at one elevation and their end at another, probably a result of snapping to elements at different elevations.

In AutoCAD, you can use Explode, to reduce the AEC elements (most of them) to basic AutoCAD elements instead. If there are some that have varying elevations then you'll be able to fix them in AutoCAD. I frequently use WBLOCK (in AutoCAD) to isolate just the relevant portion of a DWG and create a new file. That strips out distant elements and occasionally seems to resolve glitchy issues with the file. If what you find in AutoCAD is a mess I'd be inclined to ask for the the creators to clean it up instead.

Generally, I don't expect there is much intelligence to be obtained from the resulting DWG other than having 3D representations of their design work for comparison against your model.

Comment