Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOD for electrical components

Hi

Can anybody explain what is the difference in component information details for a particular LOD?
    Because I don't understand how much information have to be in elements depending on Level Of Detailnig.

Thanks!

Can anybody explain what is the difference in component information details for a particular LOD

Welcome to the forum benks2! :thumbsup:

Opinions vary on the validity of LOD - and this being the MEP forum, I'll be answering out of my depth, but since this came up recently on a project of mine...

(as Architects) we would nominally expect to see MEP model-components at (Revit's) 'Coarse' detail come through as symbols only, with runs as single line, and equipment as rudimentary (overall) volumes with working clearances/tolerances indicated.

At 'Medium' level, we would like to see the same, but with the model components now showing, and starting to express their shape/form closer to the "final" form

At 'Fine' level we would want rid of nested annotative symbols elements entirely, and to be seeing the geometry of elements in their "final" form.

So:
    Untitled.png

Ultimately, "we" would ask you avoid these kind of self-indulgences...
    dials.png

Comment

Thanks for reply.

But I need information on what is need to be in informations of object/family depending on LOD. Something like level of information...

Comment

As someone who works on MEP BIM projects, I think the whole concept of LOD/LOI as a single number is absolute crap...
        Not only does everyone have their own interpretation of what a level means, confuse the different competing versions of LOD and make up their own (LOD 375 and a half?), its also impractical for MEP as different parts of the model may be defined to different levels in the same project phase. (Eg shafts at 300 but stuff in rooms at 200..).

So in practice what we do is clearly define what will/wont be modelled and how much detail or information will be included for each system, without naming any number or LOD standard. Takes a while to set this up but now its a standard document for every project and everyone knows what they will model/recieve at each stage.
        I recommend this approach to save confusion.

For LOI you could have a look the NBS toolkit.
        https://toolkit.thenbs.com/definitions/Ss_65_80_45_72/

Although, what info you put in your components should really be driven by the design process. What do designers include in their specifications? What do you need for calculations?
        Last edited by josephpeel; November 15, 2017, 03:31 PM.
        "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment