changed job and going with an MEP consultant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changed job and going with an MEP consultant

all their drawings are in autocad, is it possible to draw services with revit and using the building layout in autocad? or i have to draw the building in revit too?

im very new to revit but very keen to start using it

You can Link dwg CAD files into Revit

Comment

Hi ChrisDarmanin, You are able to draw MEP elements even if you don't have a building yet, You can use Linked DWG's as layout to draw your MEP services but you need to be careful about MEP component heights, Slopes and so on, another thing to take care are face based elements and Ceiling based elements because those elements need a host to be placed, you are not obligated to draw the building but without a building it may be difficult to know if you are drawing right your model, regards
      Last edited by Andres Franco; October 20, 2017, 10:10 AM.
      Andres Franco - Architect - BIM Coordinator
      Revit Certified Professional - AutoCAD Certified Professional
      "I became insane, with long intervals of horribly sanity"
      E.A Poe

Comment

We do electrical layouts all the time in Revit using AutoCAD input (or Vectorworks export to DWG). You need families that you can host to workplanes and levels. It is good.

Comment

Still at a crossroad here.... started the new job and until I got settled in I was using AutoCAD (since everyone uses it). But now the boss asked me to look into AutoCAD MEP. What are your opinions? I'm more inclined to Revit but the rest of the office is adamant to change. Hence why boss suggested AutoCAD MEP; so the shock from changing software will be less. On the other hand we mostly (always) get 2d AutoCAD plans so will it be difficult to use Revit?

Comment