Question- please respond quickly!! thanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question- please respond quickly!! thanks

is it possible to make a clearance around a model in Revit? baiscly a see through box around a model?

Yes-

You could place a Mass, with a transparent material, around an entire model. Just out of curiosity, why would you need to do this?
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

ohh ok.. how exactly would i do that? im creating a BIM model for a rooftop unit. and we need to show the clearance so that when people open the cabinets or the drawers, there will be plenty of room for clearance. but unfortunatly i only have till 430 today to try to fingure this out and how to do it.

Comment

I usually do this with symbolic lines and have a visibility parameter tied to them so I can turn them off and on....
        Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

That sounds like another idea... How exactly would i do that so that when the 3D view is on, the lines of the box for clearance is shown?

Comment

OK--thanks for explaining the purpose--that helps.

You could add some thin transparent wall based families into the RTU/Mech unit family ( or nest them in), give them a visibility parameter so that when loaded into your project you can turn them on/off as desired.

You could also still nest a Mass with a transparent material into the Mech Unit Family and control it's dimensions with height, width and
            length parameters. Mass is turned off by default in Visibility/Graphics, so remember to turn it on in views where you need to see the "imaginary box" around the unit. Better yet create a View Template which has Mass on and apply it to those views.
            cliff collins
            BIM there, done that
            Last edited by cliff collins; September 2, 2011, 07:17 PM.
            Cliff B. Collins
            Registered Architect
            Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

ok perfect!.... is there a way you could explain that to me kind of step by step like (go to the annotate tap, click masking region) cause unfortunatly i am still a "teenager" so to speak to the Revit world. Sorry for makeing this complicated.

Comment

Can't right now--stepping into a meeting.

But--you should be able to very quickly open the Mech Unit Family, then create some "walls" around it at correct distances/heights, assign them a Material Parameter,
                Assign them Visibility Parameters ( on/off ), then Save the Family, Load into Project, and assign the "walls" a transparent material and/or visibility settings for the views where you need them to show up.
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

oh ok. no problem. I'll see what i can do.. Thanks for your help. i really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
                    Just out of curiosity, why would you need to do this?
                    We actually model clearance masses for collision detection. Works great!
                    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment