Slow pipework modelling - REVIT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow pipework modelling - REVIT

We are currently working on a large REVIT model about 200mb, lots of pipework and systems. When I try to draw a pipe using the select pipework tool or even select a pipe already draw REVIT will take about 5 secs think time before I can proceed to draw and modify the pipe. I have exhausted every possible avenue such as;

Purge elements

Compact central

Removed rendered materials form pipework types

Set system calcs to none and/or performance

System settings

Split model to a smaller zone/area of the building etc... say 1 level of 10mb with less systems

Anybody have any ideas ?

This could be related to worksets. If you are not using worksets as intended everything is basically shared in the model, so anytime you want to connect to a pipe, the local model has to ping the central model to make sure someone else wasn't editing that pipe.

Here is a good article explaining. We should all be using Revit’s worksets for efficient worksharing, not visibility / graphic overrides. | BIM Extension

Comment

It could be many things, but in my experience slow pipe/duct preview is a sign of lots of calculations going on in the background or graphics rendering issues.

If the worksets solution doesnt help, you can try;

Keep your systems small, per floor or zone. There is no need to connect everything back to the technical room. Better to make more Pipe System Types for things that belong together and schedule the total if required.
      Reduce the number of Filters based on System Type, combine "is not" filters to isolate what you want with just a few filters for graphical overides.

May sound weird, but see what happens if you delete all your schedules. Once had a schedule cause 5 sec delay for every single (even unrelated) operation because of calculations constantly updating.

If all else fails...I generally find copying or drawing unconnected pipe with create similar and then trimming everything together to be a better way to work with pipes, especially with runs of multiple parallel pipes or at constantly changing heights.
      Last edited by josephpeel; August 9, 2017, 11:23 AM.
      "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

200mb is not large... size in itself should not affect performance at all, unless your RAM is constantly maxed just to open it. Splitting the model and having more linked models would only make things slower.
        "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
          200mb is not large... size in itself should not affect performance at all, unless your RAM is constantly maxed just to open it. Splitting the model and having more linked models would only make things slower.
          Opening views etc.... is fine its only the pipe so yes you are correct the file size is not related so it would seem. Thought splitting the model would reduce the systems though at least that was the theory.

We are using worksets for different areas and services e.g. on one level there may be say 4 zones so we have 4 drainage worksets and 4 reticulation worksets. This does not seem to be a bad practice as far as I have been reading anyways. Do you think?

Comment

DWG imports slows everything down. See if you have anything like this in your project and if so, place them on their own Workset and close them.

Also, if I want a zippy Revit experience, I turn on Thin Lines and go Wireframe in the View. This always helps. Not sure what else to try beyond what has already been suggested.

-TZ
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™
            Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

I have tried all of that.

Like I mentioned in my original post, we stripped the model right back by stripping everything out except the one single level, this left us with a very small amount of pipework and dramatically less systems associated. I can delete everything in the model except for 1 single piece of pipe and it wall still take 5 secs to select it and draw a new pipe

Comment