Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

investigate the model - heavy file dimension

Hi,
    i'd like to understand if someone has an idea on: how to investigate directly the model, in order to understand where an heavy documentation/families/things is located.
    After a few setting a 1week working on 400sm of building, the model run over than 150mb. How can I investigate the model and try to delete some non-used part, or substitute with light one?
    please help me..

Whats the size of the project template used? 150mb is just not that bad. I have a ~ 150m2 house that is around 90mb.

But if you want to get rid of stuff, you can use Purge and select some things you want to get out of the project. Be carefull not to select everything, purging tag and such in such an early stage of the project will not make you happy later on.

You can also save your project as a library and get all the families into a folder. That way you can search for any large families and get rid of those or replace with a smaller one.
    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

I cut the families and strongly paste into a new file. from 150 to 26mb is the results. This means that "transfer to the project" comand, has improved from 26 to 150mb. The source file, from which I did the transfert template info, is a very big file. But how can I investigate and understand where exactly purge and what..otherwise, I've to repeat the purge comand any time after saving and looking the file dimension any time..
      have you any sharp suggestion regarding?

Comment

Ignore the file size. It doesn't matter, and what you think is a correlation to the file size usually isn't.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
        Director
        Parallax Team, Inc.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

I regularly work with towers with files 2-300 mb and they perform no worries. Its things like cad, badly built families and the wrong kind of warnings that will slow you down.
          There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

I agree large file size is no problem, if your model starts to lock up and Revit starts to crash then you have a problem.

If it is one family that gives you issues, then the save to library thing might help (will take a while) to find any very large family in your project so you can look into that family and change it to make it better.

Not sure if you download families from the web to use in your project, but those are not very well made a lot of the time and have lots of bulk stuff in it, like CAD files, loads of materials you will never need etc. Be sure to clean those up BEFORE you load them into your project or (maybe better) build them yourself.
            Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
            Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment