Riser Diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Riser Diagrams

any good threads or thoughts on creating view templates for plumbing riser diagrams?
    I am trying to set up view templates to place in my project template. Have yet to find a way to omit sanitary pipe for the hot and cold diagram and vice versa.

The best way to do this is with filters based on system type.
    I recommend giving each system type a unique 'System Abbreviation' (Which could also be a number but most people use a short text code they can tag the pipes with).
    Then make filters that use System Name->Contains->"System Abbreviation".
    The system name that Revit generates is always "System Abbreviation + Number"
    You can also filter by System Abbrv directly, but using system name also works for Air Terminals, Plumbing Fixtures, Mech equip etc. Even if they are part of multiple systems.
    You can also filter by System Type directly, but then you cant use "Contains" or "Does not contain", only "Equals". So for any new system you create you need to make a new filter and add it to all your view templates..

Also name your system abbreviations in a logical, heirarchical way. So for example name your warm and cold tapwater as something like TW-W and TW-C. Then you can filter "Contains TW-" to control the visibility of both, or "Contains TW-W" for just warm. Then if you have to create something new on a project, like Distilled Water, you could just name it TW-D and the filters will still work.

Finally, if your model has loads of systems, use "Does Not Contain" filters to turn of everything except what you want to see. This is better than having a list of 30+ individual system filters that you need to add and adjust and any new or undefined stuff will also be automatically hidden.
    Last edited by josephpeel; July 13, 2017, 07:36 AM.
    "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Yeah, I totally agree, create Revit systems, Give them a unique abbreviation and then use filters to show/hide them in each view as required.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I wil give your suggestions a go.

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
        The best way to do this is with filters based on system type.
        I recommend giving each system type a unique 'System Abbreviation' (Which could also be a number but most people use a short text code they can tag the pipes with).
        Then make filters that use System Name->Contains->"System Abbreviation".
        The system name that Revit generates is always "System Abbreviation + Number"
        You can also filter by System Abbrv directly, but using system name also works for Air Terminals, Plumbing Fixtures, Mech equip etc. Even if they are part of multiple systems.
        You can also filter by System Type directly, but then you cant use "Contains" or "Does not contain", only "Equals". So for any new system you create you need to make a new filter and add it to all your view templates..

Also name your system abbreviations in a logical, heirarchical way. So for example name your warm and cold tapwater as something like TW-W and TW-C. Then you can filter "Contains TW-" to control the visibility of both, or "Contains TW-W" for just warm. Then if you have to create something new on a project, like Distilled Water, you could just name it TW-D and the filters will still work.

Finally, if your model has loads of systems, use "Does Not Contain" filters to turn of everything except what you want to see. This is better than having a list of 30+ individual system filters that you need to add and adjust and any new or undefined stuff will also be automatically hidden.

Thanks for your suggestions all.

Comment