Revit Details, help the old guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Details, help the old guy

First off hats off to the group, done lots of reading but not much helping, I'm to much of noob at this point to be useful.

To make a long story longer, I come from a time where drawing by hand was in vogue, spent the last 20 in Autocad and doing my best to make Revit the standard in our office, after to many false starts I decided this is the going to the year!

To the question at hand, we have 20 years of MEP details, overtime those details were all scaled or were drawn for use at 1/8" scale. Being 90% of our projects are 1/8" that seemed to work well, did not have to worry about viewports, etc. Now with Revit, I'm thinking as I start to bring in the details I should be using 1:1 as the standard?

For those who have gone thru this process what say you?

Thanks,

Jay

Admittedly, I am an archie, so you can take this with a grain of salt. IMHO one of the best improvements in ACAD was paperspace and modelspace, where we could draw everything at 1:1 and use scaled viewports to put multiple scale drawings on the same sheet. Revit takes this to the next level and I am 100% in favor of drawing at 1:1 with the view set to an appropriate scale for placement on the sheet.

Comment

Use your details as a guide and build them in Revit so they are smart... so use detail components instead of just lines and fill patterns...use spec section notes instead of just text. That way if wording changes project to project they can be updated quickly.
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
        First off hats off to the group, done lots of reading but not much helping, I'm to much of noob at this point to be useful.

To make a long story longer, I come from a time where drawing by hand was in vogue, spent the last 20 in Autocad and doing my best to make Revit the standard in our office, after to many false starts I decided this is the going to the year!

To the question at hand, we have 20 years of MEP details, overtime those details were all scaled or were drawn for use at 1/8" scale. Being 90% of our projects are 1/8" that seemed to work well, did not have to worry about viewports, etc. Now with Revit, I'm thinking as I start to bring in the details I should be using 1:1 as the standard?

For those who have gone thru this process what say you?

Thanks,

Jay
        LOL! Hey, were you the guy on the next board over in 1969? If so, you were a complete goof off Seriously, I've come from the same place as you and have gone through the 25 years of CAD detail archives to Revit detail component process. I can tell you this: there is no Easy button I'm afraid. The way to do it is, start on the details that you need on the first project and spend the 3 days to get them done. Then the same on the next project. I will say this, for my type of work (curtain wall detailer) it got easier and easier as I went along as a lot of details are similar in some respects to ones already Revitized. Don't know about MEP so hopefully it's a similar process for you. I also found a macro (free) that converts CAD lines to Revit lines (you'll probably hear some screams of protest now) but I use that carefully and it helps that my CAD details were accurately created in the first place. I never allow any CAD content into my Revit models. I do have to link CAD occasionally but that's it. Let us know how it goes!
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Thanks everyone, great info.

Its been interesting to say least thus far, but I enjoy learning something new so its been fun too.

I'm going to give redrawing them as suggested and see what I get.

We are stuck in the middle with a good portion of our Architects in Autocad, not a fan of using linked ACAD linked files but its going to be the only way to us on a good path to Revit!

Thanks Again, hope to give something back at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
            Use your details as a guide and build them in Revit so they are smart... so use detail components instead of just lines and fill patterns...use spec section notes instead of just text. That way if wording changes project to project they can be updated quickly.

Detail components are awesome. I only recently discovered them. I actually use them for duct demolition drawings. I have a "line based" DC family that is a demolished diffuser with an adjustable line coming off of it. My whole demo plan will be full of these things and it saves me from modelling stuff that's getting torn out anyway.

Comment