Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Considering a radical change in settings for MEP projects, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a radical change in settings for MEP projects, thoughts?

Hoping to get some thoughts on this. It's regarding the auto-magic halftoning for the three MEP View Disciplines.

As most already know, if your View is set to Mechanical, Electrical or Plumbing then all of the "MEP elements" stay black linework, and everything else - including Generic Models - is set to halftone. Other visual settings are also in place, but let's just focus on halftone/screened items for now.

I recently found through a member's tip on this forum that what drives this setting is actually controlled by the "Apply Halftone" checkbox found under Manage > Additional Settings > Halftone/Underlay. With this unchecked, the MEP View Disciplines do not turn the non-MEP categories to Halftone. This now has me wondering if I could benefit from this. I am thinking about instead controlling all of the screened objects through V/G and Filters instead.

One of the main reason is Generic Models. There is not a "cuttable" MEP Family that allows for black linework in a view set to one of the MEP View Disciplines, and you cannot under any circumstances override the Family to show as black linework. A good for instance is roof curbs. When you cut a section through the curb you want to be able to see the section of the wood nailer and sheet metal walls and roof flashing pieces, maybe some spring isolators, top rails, etc. If this is any type of MEP Family, it's automatically not cuttable. It also is improperly categorized (my personal opinion, anyway).

Also, every now and then I want to see architectural or structural elements as black linework. Maybe a linework of color, which you can override, but it's always halftone. My main question is this: to the architectural and/or structural Revit designers, what are some of the other elements in Revit that are controlled by the "Apply Halftone" setting? Or is there any other gotchas that I'm not thinking about? MEP View Disciplines are important because of certain things like hidden lines. While this does work in non-MEP views, it's not the same, and works better and cleaner in an MEP view. So I'm still wanting to use the MEP View Disciplines.

Would love to hear some other thoughts on this. Going to try it out on my next project.

-TZ
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Go for it....can't see where having more control would hurt you. Report back please with your findings.
    John Karben | IMEG Corp.

Comment

Will do. I have a project about to kick off and I'm anxiously wanting to try it out.

-TZ
      Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Tannar-

Out of curiosity, do you already have Placeholder Links set up in your Project Template? (I still owe you a write up and a phone call, i havent forgotten). The reason i ask is: before you spend a bunch of hours investing time experimenting on the "next job," you might want to invest that time spending those hours setting up the Placeholder Links in your Template, and then use THAT on the next job.

Filters are great, and i use a TON of Filters, but for some of what you want to do, its easier to do with the Placeholder Links VG:RVT Links:Custom settings, especially if what you're wanting to do is alter the graphics of 3rd party design team models, and you arent privy to what their standards are or how their models are built.

For instance, in a Structural Template im working on currently for another client, the Structural Framing Plan is set to Structural Discipline. But the VG:RVT Link:Arch Placeholder:Custom settings show: Architectural Discipline, Hidden Lines off, walls overridden to medium gray, etc. That means Structure gets to coordinate with the NON Structural Walls (which dont show up without the arch discipline), but they still get to see them in lighter lineweight. Using the VG:RVT Link:Custom set up also means you can set the other files to disciplines OTHER than what you want YOUR view to be set to, which has some great benefits.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hey Aaron, yes I do have placeholder links. I definitely see your points here, but I'm not sure that the auto-halftone of MEP Views would work with what you're proposing, unless I'm missing your point here? Can you clarify more?

And no rush on the office visit, I'm booked for two weeks solid anyways so maybe end of July or early August lets get you in here.

-TZ
          Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

What im suggesting doing is exactly what you proposed doing, except using leveraging your placeholder links as a replacement method for the "halftoning" instead of Filters.

Basically, turn off the halftoning, as you were suggesting.

Then, for making certain ARCHITECTURAL elements lighter, or "halftoned," do it through your View Templates VG:RVT Link:Custom:Model settings, instead of through Filters. That way it *always works* no matter whos architectural file you get stuck with, and you dont have to recreate or rethink Filter Criteria on a job by job basis.

Also, then you dont need to Clutter up the Filter dialogue with a bunch of Filters just getting you back to the status quo, and can leave the Filters dialogue for thigns that affect your model.

EDIT: My assumption was that part of what you would "lose" turning off the 'Apply Halftone' isnt just certain categories in YOUR model being lightened, but those in the linked files as well. That's why i was talking about the placeholder links. Thats how i would want to control my arch model background if i was in MEP, instead of letting the discipline stuff do it for me.

Then for YOUR stuff (halftoning the non-relevant) i would totally use Filters.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Ah, I see what you're saying. And yes, you nailed it: the halftoning applies to the links, basically 95% of the project needs. For my own model, I want to be able to leverage the power of the Generic Model category without it being included in the halftoning setting, which accounts for the other 5%, for things like Equipment Curbs, or a frame to mount a unit heater to the wall, etc., while being cuttable.

Man I'm excited. Can't wait to try this out. I am hoping this is the "missing link" for a true, fully functioning model that is a downhill coast, rather than an uphill battle. Thanks again for the suggestion on controlling the Links.

-TZ
              Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

We should jump on a gotomeeting for a ten minute ******* tutorial on how to "shove" those settings in to all of your view templates, in a few quick minutes, instead of a few hours... There is a goofy hoop you can jump through, where you go:

1. Create a view template that ONLY affects VG;RVT Links.
                2. In all other View Templates, UNCHECK Applies to VG:RVT Link.
                3. Select one of each view type in the browser, and manually apply VT from step 1 (click yes to partial apply even though Linked VT applies).
                4. Right click each view in Browser, and Create new VT from View.
                5. Name same exact thing as VT that exists already.

HELL of a lot faster than editing VG:RVT LINK:CUSTOM settings for a shitload of linked files in all view templates. And if you copy and paste the names of the VT's in to Notepad++ it goes even faster.
                Last edited by Twiceroadsfool; July 1, 2017, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Are you kidding me?? Q U I C K I E is banned on the forum? Jesus, not everything is Sexual. Someone needs to lighten up.

Comment