Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

between duct fittings - line is too short

hello
    there's something that i dont understand on MEP is that we can't have no duct (or pipe) between 2 fittings
    sometimes i have to connect 2 elbows together and i have a message telling me "line is too short"
    if i have to move the duct or the elbow after, not the whole network will move, only the part before the "line is too short" will move, the other part will stay in the same place
    if i select the network with TAB it works but there's something strange and and don't know why!
    In real life it's not impossible to connect to elbow together!!
    thanks for your comments
    PHil
    Freelance WWTP/HVAC Designer
    Revit 2019

It is possible to connect pipe fittings directly to each other in Revit. The program is giving you the 'line too short' error because you are trying to give the pipe segment between the fittings a zero length value, which is not possible (and Revit doesn't recognize that the zero length value means you want the segment deleted).

Instead, you need to delete the pipe segment between the fittings you are trying to connect. Then you can select your fitting by the connector and drag it to connect with the other fitting and it should all work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

yeah!!
      great, it works, you're a genius!!
      Phil
      Freelance WWTP/HVAC Designer
      Revit 2019

Comment

Originally posted by evan.dodds View Post
        ...(and Revit doesn't recognize that the zero length value means you want the segment deleted)....
        One of my SERIOUS gripes with Revit MEP. Back to back fittings is a real thing in the real world. When you drag/arrow key a duct/pipe run to a point where two fittings meet, or a fitting meets with a tap, then Revit should auto-magically remove the segment and have back to back fittings. Similarly, with two back to back fittings, if you drag/arrow key one away from the other, Revit should auto-magically add a segment in between. Not that hard Revit team!!

@Phil, another quick tip for certain scenarios: select the fitting, type CS (shortcut for Create Similar), hover over the open end of the existing fitting and place the new one, creating back to back fittings. Rotate/Flip as necessary, then run duct/pipe from there. Six one way, half dozen the other.

-TZ
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™
        Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
          Similarly, with two back to back fittings, if you drag/arrow key one away from the other, Revit should auto-magically add a segment in between.
          How would it know you wanted to move just the one fitting to add a segment vs you wanting to move the entire run? The idea sounds solid, just wondering how that might impact the implementation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Greg McDowell Jr
          about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Easy. If you want both fittings to move together, grab both of them.

-TZ
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
              Not that hard Revit team!!
              Maybe it is, or has a detrimental effect on other functions.

Comment

Originally posted by RobDraw View Post
                Maybe it is, or has a detrimental effect on other functions.
                I highly doubt it. It's a pretty simple function that can be accomplished already by manual means.
                Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment