Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quickly setting up projects? Copy Architect Views?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickly setting up projects? Copy Architect Views?

Hi everyone. Right now it takes us forever to set up a new project. We have a template made (and are working to improve it), but so much time is wasted creating each and every view, resizing the grid lines, resizing the crop region...etc...

Is there a quick way I'm missing to do all this? I looked into inserting Views from file command, but it only inserts drafting views/schedules, not actual floor plan views. I found another method in which I can copy the architect's Crop Regions one by one, but that's also time consuming. I do use Scope boxes as much as possible...but don't know any other tricks.

Essentially, I'm wondering if anyone has any tips/advice/addons I can try that will help us set up projects a lot more quickly. If we could somehow just push in all of the sheets and views of the architect that would be the most ideal solution...

Thanks!

At a SCRUG meeting Troy Gates spoke about a script that he created that would duplicate/create all the views necessary for his team (MEP).

Comment

Search for 'Creating views and sheets' on the Dynamo forum.
      Its entirely possible to create all the views, for all scope box and level combinations, for a selected view template, and put them on sheets with correctly numbered title blocks etc. This is definitely an area where automation can massively reduce time costs and the chance of human error.

But.. it takes a bit of work to set this up right, with your own numbering systems, view templates, title blocks etc. So dont expect to be able to just find an add-in/script that you can just run and it will be done for you.
      "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
        Search for 'Creating views and sheets' on the Dynamo forum.
        Its entirely possible to create all the views, for all scope box and level combinations, for a selected view template, and put them on sheets with correctly numbered title blocks etc. This is definitely an area where automation can massively reduce time costs and the chance of human error.

But.. it takes a bit of work to set this up right, with your own numbering systems, view templates, title blocks etc. So dont expect to be able to just find an add-in/script that you can just run and it will be done for you.
        We have been looking into Dynamo. I just wanted to see if there were built-in shortcuts/tricks I was unaware of, and looking at the responses it seems that there isn't. We'll just stick with a dynamo plan once we get the time.

Thanks.

Comment

One thing you can do in Revit is make View Types (Eg Select a Floor Plan then Edit Type). Then you can make a View Type for every View Template and set which view template is used in each Type. Why would you want to do all that? Well if you go to View->Plan Views->Floor Plan you can select the View Type that you want and then all the levels you want. The views created will have the correct templates set so this makes view creation a bit quicker.

But you still have to name and number them, set scope boxes, and put them on sheets in the same place..
          "One must imagine Sisyphus happy." Albert Camus - "The innovator has for enemies all those who have done well under the old conditions, and lukewarm defenders in those who may ​do well under the new." Nicolo Machiavelli -"Things that are too complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple." Mikhail Kalashnikov

Comment

Add-ins such as CTC BIM Project Suite and RushForth can go a long way in helping creating views, dependent views based on scope boxes, and sheets.
            John Karben | IMEG Corp.

Comment

Originally posted by josephpeel View Post
              One thing you can do in Revit is make View Types (Eg Select a Floor Plan then Edit Type). Then you can make a View Type for every View Template and set which view template is used in each Type. Why would you want to do all that? Well if you go to View->Plan Views->Floor Plan you can select the View Type that you want and then all the levels you want. The views created will have the correct templates set so this makes view creation a bit quicker.

But you still have to name and number them, set scope boxes, and put them on sheets in the same place..
              I quickly looked up the workflow for doing something like this and it does seem pretty useful. I'll give it a go to see how to effectively use it for how we divide our drawings. Thanks!

Originally posted by kubsix View Post
              Add-ins such as CTC BIM Project Suite and RushForth can go a long way in helping creating views, dependent views based on scope boxes, and sheets.
              Thanks for these suggestions. We'll be looking through these, as well the dynamo option and making a decision.

Comment