Duct Take Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duct Take Off

Hello, would anyone know where to start in creating a duct take off per each joint being used, and also represent those joints on the drawing. Our joints are 5' long and revit doesn't show any joints. thanks

Revit doesn't have joints. What are they?

Are you referring to fabrication or design drawings?

Comment

A piece of duct is what I would like to show, not one continuous run. The design drawings go to take-off for fabrication.

Comment

Revit OOTB doesn't have joints, therefore it would be a manual process for you. I would not recommend trying to manage this at all, especially with labeling each piece like true fabrication software does. The alternative is a fab program such as SysQue, but it's a hefty investment both financially and timely.

There is a Fabrication area of Revit but most people have not had good overall experiences in using it. Not sure how else you could manage this with Revit by itself in an effective way.

-TZ
        Tannar Z. Frampton ™
        Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

We once used an add-in that ran a script and inserted a union family (your joint) at set lengths, breaking the duct into individual parts. Unfortunately I have forgotten the name and looks like we've no longer got it installed. Check out the Autodesk Appstore if you are interested in taking that route.

Or as Tannar said you can use Fabrication Parts and the associated software package CAMduct to create fabrication ready models. I've been using it exclusively for over a year and despite it's problems it's definitely usable, and you can do a lot more than define joints. It can also compile reports on the number of fixings, corners, whack-on-flanges, etc that are required to make the connection. But you'd need to spend time getting to know a second software package at the same time. Decisions, decisions...

Welcome to the deep end!

Comment

Thanks for the input. I have considered the fabrication part of revit, but it wouldn't be ideal, sysque says they can get us where we need to be but that would be a big expense; what we need is the right add in, or just keep on sending duct layouts to AutoCAD.

Comment

Originally posted by cvestal View Post
              Thanks for the input. I have considered the fabrication part of revit, but it wouldn't be ideal, sysque says they can get us where we need to be but that would be a big expense; what we need is the right add in, or just keep on sending duct layouts to AutoCAD.
              My current job is in the manufacturing point at the moment.
              For the past couple months I've been splitting up and tagging ducts. It does take awhile unfortunately.
              Today I finally finished a zone on a Hospital, there would easily be over 800 individual duct pieces and that's just one zone of 4, all with 4 levels :/

I'm pretty new to revit and drafting in general. You mentioned sending a duct layout to AutoCAD. How would AutoCAD help? Wouldn't it be annoying converting the file back and forth.
              Cheers

Comment

hello, what kind of take of do you mean ? now I'm working with some of them(waye)

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Comment

Sending only the duct to AutoCAD and creating the joints there would be a lot easier than the split element tool in Revit....

In reply to alishadim1993 Take off, as in the joints are sent to either the burn table or straight duct maker.

Comment

A few months ago I found a app called MEP Pipeline Tools. There is a tool inside this app called split pipes.
                    I gave it a go and it works with duct. All you do is select the duct runs you would like to split, then select "Split Pipes" Input your desired length in meters and boom. Saved me hours and hours.

Comment