Reflected Ceiling Plan Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reflected Ceiling Plan Problems

Does anyone know how to get the reflected ceiling plan to show a t-bar grid without having to use the "look up" option for the underlay? I don't want my mechanical work hidden by lights and whatnot.

Thanks in advance

Years ago we finally did away with trying to get this to work in a single View. So, now, we use "Stacked Views", where one view (an RCP View) shows nothing but the Ceiling and Lighting Fixtures only, and then we place the second view (a Floor Plan View) of the mechanical layout right on top. So it's two views on the sheet, stacked right on top of each other in the same place. Be advised that the last view placed is "on top", so be sure the RCP view goes on first, then the mechanical floor plan view. The results can be found in the attached PDF (sensitive info in the titleblock removed) - very clean layout and everything shows as you'd expect.

Hope this helps.

-TZ
    Attached Files
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

I'm not HVAC, so I may be wrong, but wouldn't an Underlay work for this?
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Wow that looks great TZ! I'll give it a shot. I'm fairly new with Revit so I'm not as experienced in the sheets or plotting part yet, but thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
          Not sure, but I've been doing this "my way" for so long I haven't really checked to see if there's a way to accomplish this in a single view. So, if someone has a way to do it effectively then I'll gladly update my process to take away the management of extra views and additional steps, etc.

-TZ
          Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Originally posted by vmartin View Post
            Wow that looks great TZ! I'll give it a shot. I'm fairly new with Revit so I'm not as experienced in the sheets or plotting part yet, but thanks for the help. I greatly appreciate it.
            Thanks for the compliment. Revit can do a lot if you give it a chance. The members of this forum should get a lot of credit for my current workflows.

I thought you were doing RCP for sheet plotting. If that's not the case, simply work in a Reflected Ceiling Plan View, and in V/G, you can set the Ceiling and Light Fixture Categories to 100% Transparent. This way you see the object/patterns (aka "grid lines"), but it won't hide any overhead mechanical elements.

-TZ
            Last edited by tzframpton; December 1, 2016, 10:27 PM.
            Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

Yep, stack views are the way to go.

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
              The grids have to be in the model for them to show as underlay on a floor plan view. Unfortunately doesn't work if the grid is in a linked model.

There are ways to get them to show in a floor plan view but it takes coordination with the person producing the linked model.

It all about where the surface pattern is applied to the ceiling assembly. Typical RCP workflow applies the pattern on the underside and the view is from below. Patterns can be applied to the top surface, which would be visible in a floor plan view but that is not an industry standard workflow. They can also be applied to both surfaces but the are not tied together and would require independent manipulation, which would not be fun.
              John Karben | IMEG Corp.

Comment

I stack views...been doing it for a long time now. However, in 2017, the ceiling is getting blocked out by furniture and specialty equipment.

Normally I put the RCP on the sheet first, then the floor plan (with Floors turned off). But this time it's giving me grief.

So I put the floor plan on first, then the RCP. I went into the RCP and made the ceiling transparent. Still no dice. Actually, this worked on screen, but when you print to PDF, the RCP blocks out (ie masks) the floor plan.

Maybe its RVT 2017? Tips? Would love to hear it. Or better yet, maybe I will end up answering my own question....wish me luck (?)....

EDIT: I kept the RCP below the floor plan, but this time I set all linked models in the floor plan as "Underlay" instead of "Halftone" and this did the trick. I don't know why it works like that in RVT 2017...in previous versions I have all links in all view types set as "Halftone".
                Last edited by koolair; March 15, 2017, 01:17 AM. Reason: Got it...

Comment

Has any one doing theses stacked views out of habit tried doing these as DaveP suggested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

IMHO, ceiling grids should not be shown on floor plans. That's why we have RCPs. The same for RCP's, ducts and pipes should not be shown on them.
                    Last edited by RobDraw; March 26, 2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment